2017 Voltbike Urban

Discussion in 'Voltbike Forum' started by SuperGoop, Jun 30, 2017.

1. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

I just ordered the Voltbike Urban. I already own the Voltbike Yukon 750, but wanted something casual, light and compact. This is the new 2017 model with the spokeless "mag" wheels. CAD$1,299 +$49 shipping (US$1,059). I'll post some thoughts when it arrives, as there is no reviews anywhere on this new Voltbike Urban (2017 model). A lot of value for the price!

- suspension fork
    - 350W (500W peak) Bafang geared hub motor
    - Throttle on-demand and Pedal Assist
    - 36W x 10.4 Ah Samsung battery
    - full rack
    - front & rear fenders
    - integrated front light powered by main battery
    - integrated rear light powered by two AA batteries
    - foldable
    - spokeless 20" aluminum "mag" wheels
    - sub-50 lbs (I will weigh it to confirm)

http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-urban.html

I ordered it Wednesday, and it shipped next day, Thursday. Tracking # shows that it departed from Vancouver, and is on route. ETA is next Wednesday (I estimate another few days to get onto a truck to my home). I believe it ships direct (non-stop) via train in Canada. My Voltbike Yukon 750 arrived in pristine condition with zero box damage. I think this is because it shipped by train, and doesn't get tossed around from truck to truck across the country.

More updates to follow...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. subzero

subzero New Member

I was thinking about ordering this bike, but, I want a fat tire bike in case I ever go to the beach and bike on the soft sand. That's why I'm debating between the Voltbike Mariner and the Radmini.

But, one cannot go wrong with the Urban also. That price point is crazy good. I see it being good for biking around on pavement, but, based on the video review I saw, the tires can be changed out if you're going camping and bike on dirt.

4. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

I ordered my Voltbike Urban last Wednesday, and it arrived at my door today, Friday (9 days total, including a long-weekend).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    ace20ri and zap016VOLTAGE like this.
  5. zap016VOLTAGE

zap016VOLTAGE Member

Thanks for sharing @SuperGoop!:)
    The new Urban appears very improved over the previous version.
    Its price is amazing!:D

Do you know if its rack can accept a "slide-on" style rack bag or no?

Good luck with it!;)

Reema Ylla likes this.
  6. Denis Shelston

Denis Shelston Active Member

Thank you. Nice bike.

Kinda looking for something for my wife, this is sweet.

7. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

@zap016VOLTAGE The included rack looks generic, and doesn't seem to have any slide-on or clip-on mechanism.

8. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

I now have around 100 km the Voltbike Urban. Some observations:

- On my first full charge, I went 65 km (at random speeds, not too aggressive).
    - Motor doesn't cut in-and-out when nearing low battery. It simply gets weaker and weaker, until there is no more power.
    - Took a lot longer to fully charge an empty battery than I expected. 6.5 hours with the included 2A charger.
    - Lots of low-end torque and power. High-end speed & power is not as great as my Yukon 750.
    - On freshly charged battery, I can easily hit 32+km/h with throttle only on flats. But when the battery is below 80%, then the top speed is around 30km/h on throttle only.
    - With pedaling, it is easy to maintain around 30-32km/h regardless of battery strength.
    - Much more jarring than my Yukon 750 (fat tires). Perhaps due to its smaller & stiffer 20" tires.
    - Fairly light (53 lbs), and easy to carry with the built-in handle on the top-tube.
    - Key must be inserted and in the ON position to operate the motor.
    - Battery range is not really an issue, because the bike rides like a regular folding bike even without motor assistance.
    - The Urban is more suited to lower speeds (around 25km/h). It can go faster, but it feels inefficient and bumpy above 25km/h.
    - The front shocks are very nice and effective. It is on the softer side, which I like.
    - I can very accurately gauge the battery level by monitoring the real-time voltage (42V=full, 32V=dead).
    - Every time the display is switched off, the "Trip" meter is reset back to zero. However, you can leave the display on, and it will got to "Sleep" without resetting the Trip meter.
    - The rear light is aimed a bit too high and partially blocked by the rear rack. I had to bend it down a little with a wrench. Now, it is perfect.
    - The front light runs off the main battery and is bright enough to be seen, even during daytime.
    - Due to the small bike, panniers need to be small and mounted further back to avoid interfering with pedaling.
    - The rack does not have the spring clasp like last year's model, which I miss.

Any questions, let me know.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. sucka free

sucka free New Member

Hey there

Thanks for posting the info. I was debating the e-Joe epik or the Motiv Stash and now this is in the mix!

I'd be using whatever bike I end up getting to commute 2 miles each way, most flat but with a 200 yard steepish hill at the beginning (downhill) and end (uphill). Also I'd be folding it daily as I'd take it up to the office. Any thoughts? Also, is the weight manageable when toting it around? In other words, is it klunky or easy to carry it around?

Thanks in advance.

10. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

The folding and the weight is manageable, but don't expect it to be quick and easy. Because the bike is 53 lbs, it does take a bit of effort to fold. I would not want to fold and carry it up stairs daily. Below, I took it with me on a vacation. The folding works great for this purpose:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  11. tinotino

tinotino New Member

Hi Supergoop, what Pannier do you have? And how many flat do you have so far?

I placed an order for a black one, their current ship date is mid Sep. I heard its changing from mag wheel back to spoke wheel too.

Is there a more active Voltbike Urban group on the internet besides this thread?

12. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

13. Danimal

Danimal New Member

SuperGoop, thank you so much for those beautiful pictures and honest review points. Very much appreciated from someone who's still trying to choose a folding e-bike. I'm between this, the Magnum Premium, and the E-Joe Epik SE 2018. I'm leaning towards the Premium, but I have a feeling Interbike is gonna change things up.

SuperGoop likes this.
  14. Wleyraud

Wleyraud New Member

Thank you for your honest review. I've ordered the 2018 model which will no longer come with the solid wheels. I really loved those wheels. Ride safe.

15. Danimal

Danimal New Member

Are there any photos of the 2018 model? What other changes have they made?

Denis Shelston likes this.
  16. Wleyraud

Wleyraud New Member

George told me that he would have photos around September 10, there is a new 11.6 ah battery, new bottom bracket, there is also added stand for stability when the bike is folded, new pedals, stronger seat post, longer handlebar to handle taller person.
    I can't wait to see the photos myself too, but I just pre-ordered it anyways.

17. SuperGoop

SuperGoop Active Member

Keep in mind that the battery is inside the main tube, which means that if you plan to remove the battery frequently (eg. to charge inside the house), it will be a hassle. You'll need to fold the bike, reach underneath to remove the key, pull out the battery, etc.

Since I keep the battery inside the bike to charge, this is not an issue for me, but it might be for some people.

18. Wleyraud

Wleyraud New Member

Yes, I plan on keeping the battery inside the tube to charge as well. That's why I like this bike to be foldable. Just fold it up and bring it to the office/home with me, not hanging outside waiting to be stolen. At some places people will even steal your bike bell or bottle cage if they cannot steal the whole bike or tires.

19. DenkiRider

DenkiRider New Member

Does anybody have any other details regarding upgrades on the new model?

20. Denis Shelston

Denis Shelston Active Member

Still nothing online... So far the wheels have gone back to spokes...

21. Danimal

Danimal New Member

It looks like they'll update the website with new details in 2 weeks. "It will feature upgraded frame, bigger battery, lighter wheels, new pedals, new fenders and more. Shipping starts October.2."

DenkiRider likes this.