5000 miles, xm700+

Saratoga Dave

Well-Known Member
#1
What can I say? 15 months since I bought this in Saratoga County, NY, rolled past 5K this morning on a HUMID ride along the Mohawk River. Bike has been near flawless. Replaced the chain and cassette around 3K, had one incident where the boost level wouldn’t behave (dirty contact)... one rear tire.

All pleasure riding, I’m retired and don’t go anywhere I don’t want to anymore. This has been one terrific companion. I should get another 1000 on it before the snow flies this year.

Highly recommended.

C0EB8DE3-A8FF-484D-A5EC-99A158C6EC10.jpeg
 
#6
The fork disconnected from the handlebars while I was riding it, causing total loss of control.

Trek has replaced mine under warranty. My old one always made a pinging noise on rough roads but so far the new one doesn't.

The shop told me some kind of rubber boot was damaged or wore out inside the shock, which caused the whole fork to lose integrity.
 

Saratoga Dave

Well-Known Member
#7
Holy crap, I guess that’s a symptom hard to miss! That could be a freaking disaster pretty quick. I had not heard of this... I will give mine a look. We have some pretty good hills/mountains in the southern Adirondacks that you can get a good head of steam going on. Thanks for the heads up on this. 35 or even 40 miles an hour is fairly common on some rides.

Until that happens, I love this bike. Put a very pleasant 40 miles on this morning out along the Erie Canal path west of Amsterdam.
 

Saratoga Dave

Well-Known Member
#9
I will, and thanks much for letting me - and the rest of us out here - know about this. I’ve never seen it mentioned on this or anything other site
 
#11
Might just be the run of forks that I got. If you notice any play in the wheel when riding, get it checked ASAP.
Hi, I have an XM700+ as well. (2300 miles) The 'shock absorber' aka spring on the fork has always rattled a bit. I got used to it, but now I;m getting a little tired of the rattle. Did your shock absorbing spring rattle prior to replacement and does the new one rattle ? Thanks.

John from CT
What can I say? 15 months since I bought this in Saratoga County, NY, rolled past 5K this morning on a HUMID ride along the Mohawk River. Bike has been near flawless. Replaced the chain and cassette around 3K, had one incident where the boost level wouldn’t behave (dirty contact)... one rear tire.

All pleasure riding, I’m retired and don’t go anywhere I don’t want to anymore. This has been one terrific companion. I should get another 1000 on it before the snow flies this year.

Highly recommended.

View attachment 24735
Dave, Congratulations on your hitting 5000 miles ! That is great....What type of riding do you do ? ie: Rails to Trails , paved trails and or roads ? Thanks.

John from CT
 

Saratoga Dave

Well-Known Member
#12
Hi John... we are fortunate (or smart, we moved here 13 years ago on purpose after retiring from the police department down in Poughkeepsie, NY) to live right at the junction of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, and along the Erie and Champlain canal infrastructure. There are rail trails and bike paths all over the place, including that little route that goes all the way to Buffalo! Yesterday I rode out past Amsterdam and back from Schenectady, today it was along the old Champlain canal on a great single track that runs from Waterford up to Mechanicville. I'd say my riding is maybe 60% bike paths along the Mohawk, usually 30-40 miles, and the other 40% on local roads (nice wide shoulders around here, good pavement) and roads up in the Adirondacks. Great place to be a cyclist, ebike or otherwise.

Electrarider, I was able to retire from the PD at the astonishing age of 52, then owned a small database company for the next twelve years that I sold 2 years ago to the guys who had come aboard with me... so now mostly retired, sort of "Of Counsel" if you get my drift, they need me for my face and story since I wrote the whole system and people still want to talk to me at times. Work out of a nice home office when I work at all, maybe five or ten hours a week, every now and then a busier flurry when we have something new going on. I still handle our international clients since I like the whole "halfway around the world" thing. Samoa is 17 hours ahead of us!

I consider my job now to be riding the bike at least five days a week to stay active. Not bad work if you can get it, as long as the front wheel doesn't fall off the damn thing.
 
#13
Hi John... we are fortunate (or smart, we moved here 13 years ago on purpose after retiring from the police department down in Poughkeepsie, NY) to live right at the junction of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, and along the Erie and Champlain canal infrastructure. There are rail trails and bike paths all over the place, including that little route that goes all the way to Buffalo! Yesterday I rode out past Amsterdam and back from Schenectady, today it was along the old Champlain canal on a great single track that runs from Waterford up to Mechanicville. I'd say my riding is maybe 60% bike paths along the Mohawk, usually 30-40 miles, and the other 40% on local roads (nice wide shoulders around here, good pavement) and roads up in the Adirondacks. Great place to be a cyclist, ebike or otherwise.

Electrarider, I was able to retire from the PD at the astonishing age of 52, then owned a small database company for the next twelve years that I sold 2 years ago to the guys who had come aboard with me... so now mostly retired, sort of "Of Counsel" if you get my drift, they need me for my face and story since I wrote the whole system and people still want to talk to me at times. Work out of a nice home office when I work at all, maybe five or ten hours a week, every now and then a busier flurry when we have something new going on. I still handle our international clients since I like the whole "halfway around the world" thing. Samoa is 17 hours ahead of us!

I consider my job now to be riding the bike at least five days a week to stay active. Not bad work if you can get it, as long as the front wheel doesn't fall off the damn thing.
I look forward to making my job riding at least 5 days a week, since I have to travel I miss out on at least 2 to 3 days a week. A few hours a week isn't bad as long as your working from home, that's just enough to stay engaged in the company and still enjoy life!!! I'd normally say "ride the wheels off that bike" but probably not good to say in your situation, so I'll end with Happy Riding!!!!;)
 
Last edited:
#14
What kind of mileage are you getting from a charge and what modes are you using the most? I’m about to purchase my first ebike.
 

Saratoga Dave

Well-Known Member
#15
Hi Tim

I spend almost the whole time on Eco mode. The others are for hills or mountains - not of lot of the second around here, but here are plenty up in the Adirondacks, where I ride quite often also.

The Powerpack 400 gives me plus or minus forty miles on an average day on pavement. Parts of the Erie Canal network are stone dust or dirt, and that softer ground saps energy pretty quickly. If I have any intention of going more than 30 miles on a given day, I bring the charger... you can always find a place to plug in for half an hour and pick up ten miles or so.

And by the way, we rolled past 6000 miles last week, just under the banner before the end of the year. Hope to have 9000 on it this time next year!
 
#16
The fork disconnected from the handlebars while I was riding it, causing total loss of control.

Trek has replaced mine under warranty. My old one always made a pinging noise on rough roads but so far the new one doesn't.

The shop told me some kind of rubber boot was damaged or wore out inside the shock, which caused the whole fork to lose integrity.
My XM 7000 had a "loose handlebar" and the bike shop said the fork could disconnect. Trek replaced the fork. This happened at about 1500 miles. I'm over 4100 now an have no problems (yet) since then.