A critical look at the Haibike Trekking (open to all variants)

rdpchef

Does anyone have the 2018 SDURO Trekking 9.0? Are the problems the same as mentioned above with older versions?

Bryan995

Can anyone tell me how many links the chain should have? 2017 trekking 5.0 S.

Chain broke and I bought a replacement. Naively though it was plug and play and did not need sizing. Already tossed the old chain ...

Got it close but the drivetrain now makes a clicking noise when under pressure. Maybe 1 too large? Or maybe it’s the motor? Would be a pure coincidence though as the motor was silent with the old chain ...

New chain is a Shimano 901

Last edited:

Bryan995

Thanks. Will double check them all. The sound is mostly coming from the motor cog area. Also if the bike is on a stand then it’s mostly silent. Only when the drivetrain is under pressure/strain do you hear it. Noisey with or without motor assist. Thought it was the chain maybe being too large? But REI said it’s the motor... ?

Nova Haibike

The number of links in a chain has no bearing on noise.

If it clicks in all gears, it could be a stiff link, but if REI looked at the bike, a stiff link would normally show up in the repair stand, and it would click even without pressure.

If it is noisy only in one gear, and it is the gear you most frequently ride in, it is likely the cog of the cassette is worn to match the old chain. It is not enough wear to cause skipping, but enough to be noisier under pressure. Depending on the position, the cog may or may not be able to be replaced individually.

On the other hand, if the noise is coming from the front ("The sound is mostly coming from the motor cog area."), perhaps you are describing a rubbing front derailleur? In the repair stand it won't make noise because without pedal pressure, the frame does not flex. Under load the frame and crankset can move laterally, causing the chain to rub against the outside derailleur plate. But this would have happened with the old chain as well.

Another thing to check...especially if you broke a chain...is the rear derailleur hanger alignment. A misaligned derailleur can cause noise.

Bryan995

Thanks. Will double check them all. The clicking seems to be at a semi fast rate. Also if the bike is on a stand then it’s mostly silent. Only when the drivetrain is under pressure/strain do you hear it. Noisey with or without motor assist.
The number of links in a chain has no bearing on noise.

If it clicks in all gears, it could be a stiff link, but if REI looked at the bike, a stiff link would normally show up in the repair stand, and it would click even without pressure.

If it is noisy only in one gear, and it is the gear you most frequently ride in, it is likely the cog of the cassette is worn to match the old chain. It is not enough wear to cause skipping, but enough to be noisier under pressure. Depending on the position, the cog may or may not be able to be replaced individually.

On the other hand, if the noise is coming from the front ("The sound is mostly coming from the motor cog area."), perhaps you are describing a rubbing front derailleur? In the repair stand it won't make noise because without pedal pressure, the frame does not flex. Under load the frame and crankset can move laterally, causing the chain to rub against the outside derailleur plate. But this would have happened with the old chain as well.

Another thing to check...especially if you broke a chain...is the rear derailleur hanger alignment. A misaligned derailleur can cause noise.
Good stuff thanks. I did break a chain so yes maybe the rear derailed hanger is out of alignment. Will look.

It clicks in all gears, even ones I very rarely ever used. Some louder than others. So yes maybe it could also be a worn rear cassette ...

No front derailer, just the haibike small sprocket. But that’s seems to be where the noise is emitting from. Perhaps that sprocket could be worn? Only 2000 milestone though ... but it is the origin of the noise.

Will double check all things. Bringing it to a new (evoke focused) shop tomorrow so we shall see ... appreciate it!

Bryan995

Not to de-rail this thread (get it?)...

Rear derailed is not bent. Things are perfectly aligned if I look down the chain from the front to the rear.

Some videos of the noise.

Motor only (bearings sound good? how to fix the squeak? Grease?)

Drive train + motor w/o pressure (no noise)

Drive train + motor w/ pressure 1 (lots of clicking)

Drive train + motor w/ pressure 2

Riding (lots of noise, with or without motor assist)

The chain is indeed bouncing around quite a bit, but didn't see it coming in contact with anything. Clutch is enabled. Could that be it? 1-2 links too long? Or just both cogs age too worn/matched to the old chain ?

Last edited:

Bryan995

To any future reader - the issue above turned out to be two fold.

1. REI re-sized the chain 8 links too large, so it was bouncing around. 8 links were removed.
2. Even after the chain re-size, the noise persisted. The tech suggested that the front-crank was simply worn (mushroomed). We swapped it out for a new one (@ $115 gulp..) which solved the issue 100%. Smooth and quiet now.

Ghostman_132

I have 2017 model with yamaha engine. The issue that I have is with chains. They seems to be eaten like bread. I have used KMC e10 EPT and KMC e10 silver chains, but they seems to last something from 800km to 2000km. Also when wear indicator shows 0,75% wear level, you can't put a new chain on before also replacing 3-4 smallest cogs on the rear casette. I drive 98% on asphalt. Wet or dry. and do weekly cleaning on the chain. If I have driven in water, I add a bit lubricant on the chain after that. Clearly I'm doing something wrong here. How have you got the chain to last?

Johnny

I have 2017 model with yamaha engine. The issue that I have is with chains. They seems to be eaten like bread. I have used KMC e10 EPT and KMC e10 silver chains, but they seems to last something from 800km to 2000km. Also when wear indicator shows 0,75% wear level, you can't put a new chain on before also replacing 3-4 smallest cogs on the rear casette. I drive 98% on asphalt. Wet or dry. and do weekly cleaning on the chain. If I have driven in water, I add a bit lubricant on the chain after that. Clearly I'm doing something wrong here. How have you got the chain to last?
which lube are you using ?

Also can you tell us which assist level you are using and are you cross chaining a lot (using the gears of which chain runs skewed)?

Scott Eakin

5000 trouble free miles. Trecking RC Yahama. Original tires, one puncture, three sets of brake pads, new seat post (body float), new bars (Jones H Bar), new grips (Ergon), rear lamp wiring repair, foam under battery to silence rattle, three shims from sardine can on motor mount bolts to stop movement of motor in frame and silence knocking noise, two batteries in controller, and that's it. Battery still good for 55 miles even though its only 400 W/Hr. Couldn't be happier. Onward!

Attachments

Guitar dave

Does anyone have the 2018 SDURO Trekking 9.0? Are the problems the same as mentioned above with older versions?
I have one. Great bike. But when I received it from an online discount seller in Wisconsin the motor had a very noticeable click with each crank rotation. Brought it to a local Trek dealer, which uses the same Bosch system, who charged me $260 and did not fix it. Brought it to a new local Haibike dealer who immediately recognized the issue, tightened the motor mount bolts, and charged me $15. Quiet ever since. Other than that, it's been great!

Johnny

I have one. Great bike. But when I received it from an online discount seller in Wisconsin the motor had a very noticeable click with each crank rotation. Brought it to a local Trek dealer, which uses the same Bosch system, who charged me $260 and did not fix it. Brought it to a new local Haibike dealer who immediately recognized the issue, tightened the motor mount bolts, and charged me $15. Quiet ever since. Other than that, it's been great!
$260 and they didn't fix it, wow what did they charge you for ?

Guitar dave

$260 and they didn't fix it, wow what did they charge you for ?
It was slightly reduced for about an hour, and then back to the same. After a Haibike dealer tightened the bolts it has not made a peep in 700 miles since. The bolts the Haibike dealer tightened are not the ones on the bottom of the bottom bracket. These were elsewhere and not exposed without removing something, not sure what. I had made sure the exposed bolts were all tight in trying to fix it myself.

JayVee

As mentioned elsewhere, I've tightened the bolts that attach the drive to the frame a fews days ago. I also greased them. The drive doesn't make a single noise. It's pure bliss. This is for a Yamaha powered bike w/ 23,000 kilometers.

Last edited: