Accuracy of Purion speedometer/odometer?

wjgrover

I just purchased a 2019 arroyo. fantastic bike for shopping, commuting, and just plain rolling around town. I clocked the speedometer against my GPS Apple Watch, and the bike seems to claim a faster speed than the watch, by about 1 to 1.5 mph. my watch tracks fine with my road bike speedometer. anyone noticing speed discrepancies?
thanks, will

Steve-H

I just purchased a 2019 arroyo. fantastic bike for shopping, commuting, and just plain rolling around town. I clocked the speedometer against my GPS Apple Watch, and the bike seems to claim a faster speed than the watch, by about 1 to 1.5 mph. my watch tracks fine with my road bike speedometer. anyone noticing speed discrepancies?
thanks, will
We have road mounted radars in community areas that do publish a speed that is 2 km/hr less than my Purion display. So technically I will not get in trouble for having an illegal pedalec bike. And I just have to work harder to keep up with real road bikes that can average greater than 30 km/hr. They are definitely sweating and I have to work a little.

Mr. Coffee

thanks, will
There are a mind-bogglingly large collection of reasons why you might have such a discrepancy. Unless you are really extremely systematic and run a lot of experiments in a very controlled environment you can't really know which one is correct and which one is not.

6zfshdb

Speed measured by consumer grade GPS equipment can be off by as much as 10%, especially at lower speeds. Accuracy depends on the number of satellites in "view" of your GPS and can be limited by topography, buildings, trees, etc.