Any chain drop solutions on the CCX?

Armchair

I looked into chain catchers at first, but quickly found out how expensive they are. So I just went ahead and bought a prowheel crank with double sided chain guard. No chain drops since then.
Could you provide a link to the one you bought?

Timpo

Honestly, I feel like wide-narrow ring is unnecessary if you have double sided chain guard.

That said, I have 116 link chain, which didn't fix the problem. That's why I got the double sided chain guard.

Timpo

...I've been trying to figure out how this crank set acts as a chain guard. It can prevent the chain from dropping inside between the gear and the crank set?
well that one has double sided chainguard both inside/outside. The original one only had one on outside.

Since getting that chainguard, I haven't dropped the chain once.

Timpo

Ah, I see! My chain drops in between the chain ring and the chain guard...
so what you're saying is the chain can fall both sides??

if it falls inside, it just falls... and if it falls outside, it gets jammed up in between chain ring and chain guard??

I have a CrossCurrent Air, the it only came with one sided chain guard, but the design of chain guard was different than CCS or CCX.

Armchair

so what you're saying is the chain can fall both sides??

if it falls inside, it just falls... and if it falls outside, it gets jammed up in between chain ring and chain guard??
It doesn't get jammed, but yeah it can fall in that small space. If I downshift and keep pedaling it will pop back on the ring though. Thinking about it more it's not really a chain guard since it lets the chain fall off. It's more of a chain ring guard so you don't get your pants greasy.

youth

That's why I advocate the narrow wide solution as it's specifically designed to address chain drop on 1x drivetrains whereas a chainguard is more to protect the teeth from impacts, but as a side affect can help keep the chain from jumping off if the gap between it & the ring is small enough. The stock chainguard did help keep the chain from falling off for a time on that one side but eventually it would just wedge itself in the gap.

Armchair

I inspected further and I don't think my CCS can fit a double guard anyways. They chain stay is just too close (pics attached). However there looks to be enough room to fit a double sided change guide so I bought one on Amazon and will let you know the results. I also found the Deckas 130BCD on Aliexpress for $20 so I ordered that but won't be here in a long time.

Just in case I bought a new chain too. Mine has well over 2k miles and not sure how long these last on E-bikes.

Attachments

Timpo

I inspected further and I don't think my CCS can fit a double guard anyways. They chain stay is just too close (pics attached). However there looks to be enough room to fit a double sided change guide so I bought one on Amazon and will let you know the results. I also found the Deckas 130BCD on Aliexpress for $20 so I ordered that but won't be here in a long time.

Just in case I bought a new chain too. Mine has well over 2k miles and not sure how long these last on E-bikes.
I didn't think I had a space for double sided chain guard too, I have posted here on EBR when I ordered it on AliExpress that I was taking my chances.

In the worse case scenario, I was thinking about slightly shaving the chainguard so that it won't hit the swingarm (it's not a full suspension, so I don't know if that part of frame is called swingarm, but you know what I mean)

I bought it from here, as you can see, different design, I think they updated.
I think the seller is showing the older model: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32800420693.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dolymqU

Also what do you mean by "chain stay is too close"? Is that a dog fang chan stay? Did it come from the factory?
For Juiced CC Air, it didn't even have it, must be something Juiced added later on? I added mine, I bought my dog fang chain stay from eBay, but didn't help the chain drop. You should just take it off.

Anyways, as you can see in the picture, I didn't have to modify anything, but as you can see, the inside chain guard has slightest clearance between the rear part of frame. (swingarm?)

Attachments

Last edited:

Armchair

The chain stay is what you are calling the Swing arm. What year is your bike? I got my CCS early 2018 and my chain ring is almost touching the chain stay. We might have different parts.

Timpo

The chain stay is what you are calling the Swing arm. What year is your bike? I got my CCS early 2018 and my chain ring is almost touching the chain stay. We might have different parts.
ok I'm a little confused here.

If we were both talking about chain stay (or swing arm) for the whole time... why did you post a picture of dog fang with a ruler to show the clearance?
Because that's what made me think that you're worried about the clearance between dog fang and chain ring.

Anyways, yes I do have a different frame, since CC Air had square looking frame.

That said, the clearance between chain stay (or swing arm) was pretty darn close, that's why I didn't think that double sided chainguard would fit.

Anyways, none of your pictures show the clearance between chain stay and chainring, so I can't tell you if my clearance was similar to yours or not.

Armchair

Sorry for confusion. My first pic was to show there might be enough room for a double sided chain guide / catch to fit between ring and guard. Second pic shows that the ring is pretty close to the stay already.

Timpo

Sorry for confusion. My first pic was to show there might be enough room for a double sided chain guide / catch to fit between ring and guard. Second pic shows that the ring is pretty close to the stay already.
Okay thank you for the clarification.
Your second picture doesn't show the clearance because the chain is obstructing the chain ring..

Although I did not use a ruler to get an exact measurement, I feel like AliExpress crankset actually shifts the chain ring a little bit to the outside, so that it creates a little bit more room for the inner chain guard and there's no conflict between the chain stay (swing arm).

I got this picture from EBR review, it's a CrossCurrent S, honestly, that looks pretty close and looks similar to what I used to have.

However, compare this picture to my AliExpress picture, do you see how the crankset is pushing the chainring inside?
And AliExpress (one that I got) kinda pull the chain ring to the outside?

My guess is that not all crankset have the exact same chain ring location.