Battery confusion.

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repairs' started by Canny_Scot, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Canny_Scot

Canny_Scot New Member

My wife has just bought an e-bike and I'm confused about the different advice found about battery charging. In the bike's manual it says this - "For the first 3 times, please fully charge and discharge the new battery (please consume all the power after fully charged) and then charge for 24 hours again." I decided to check and consulted Google, where almost all sites warn against ever fully discharging the battery. Help please! The battery is a Li-ion 36v/10ah model.

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Best practice is not allowing the battery pack drop below 20% charge and if you need to store the battery over winter, maintain the pack at 60% charge. However, if the pack were at 20% and you still have 3 miles to get home, ride the bike and charge when you can. Charge and store at room temperature. I try to charge after the pack has rested a bit after a ride, 1-2 hours. Once charged, I disconnect the charger. It's never a good practice (or safe) to leave on charge indefinitely.

This is one of the best sources of information for all types of batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Most important, enjoy your bike!

Canny_Scot likes this.
  4. Canny_Scot

Canny_Scot New Member

Does this apply to her new battery or should we do the 3 full discharges as stipulated in the instructions before charging after each outing?

5. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

If your battery pack is lithium-ion, then no, no full discharge. That advice is for other chemistries and is a holdover for when some Chinese ebikes were using them. We've seen the very same question as yours asked many times and when those manufactures have been nailed down on it, they've admitted that practice is wrong. Lithium-ion does not have a memory like other batteries, so full discharge will not "condition" the pack, or stretch the capacity.

6. Canny_Scot

Canny_Scot New Member

Thanks very much for the clarification. I'll be sure to make sure the correct practices are followed. :)

J.R. likes this.

Forums Made Possible with Support From