Blix Vika Plus Trouble

smoz

Hey Everyone

This is my first post and I'm not quite sure which part of the forum to write this in, but here's my story about my ebike. Any advice from you knowledgeable folks would be appreciated.

A couple of years ago I bought a Blix Vika Plus on the used market and I absolutely loved it. I used it as a daily commuter for work and did my groceries with it and it got to the point where I was questioning why I have a car. I recently went abroad for a year and due to ignorance just left the bike and the battery in storage. The battery being lithium ion crapped out on me on my first ride while going uphill. I replaced the battery and everything seemed to be working well. A few days after I got my first flat tire (on the hub motor) and I took it to a bike shop to fix it. When I got back the bike shop told me that the 9 pin circular connection between the motor and the controller appears to be melted and when I took the bike out for a ride it had trouble throttling. The bikeshop said that this is how the bike was when I got there and there was no way for me to disprove them. I went ahead and replaced the connections with new ones but the bike still would not run. I then reached out to Blix and I told them my situation. I also noticed that the hub motor would give resistance when spun backwards. I thought it would be the motor. So I purchased a new motor from them and tried it out and it was not making a difference. Then I reached out to them again and got a controller, when I replaced the controller the bike started working again but with some quirks. The pedal assist was always on the highest mode, and the front lights were not working, but it was good enough for my needs of just climbing hills on my commute. A week later into it, neither the throttle nor the pedal assist work. The bike turns on and the display comes on but it does not throttle. I disconnected the breaks to see if that is what was preventing throttle but no luck. Now I am trying to reach out to Blix but being ignored, because they are "too busy" dealing with a backlog of problems and I feel stuck and stupid. If I knew this is how it would end up I would not have forked the money for the battery and motor and put it towards a new purchase with a more responsible company. It is frustrating because it appears that all the parts are borrowed from other manufacturers and my bike being an older model (2014) makes it impossible for me to find the exact parts. If anyone has had similar experiences and can help me out I would really appreciate it and meanwhile I would like to advise people to purchase their bike from more reputable brands that are known for their customer service.

Thanks for reading
Sia

smoz

I found something interesting on youtube that may be the reason why my bike is not working. Posting it here for anyone who has had the same issue as I really had a hard time finding the answer on forums. Oh and I called Blix today only to hear them say "Well you got 5 years of use out of your bike. That's more than what most people get" :

rich c

Your story is not uncommon. I tell people on the forum all the time, of the danger of buying a bike from a direct sale company. Spending less for the bike compared to the cost at a local bike shop is all good until the bike stops working. People don’t expect a company to have such poor customer support, but that’s why direct sale bikes are cheaper. Sorry for your troubles.

indianajo

If you like your frame, buy a whole kit from somebody else. Two reputable companies are lunacycle and ebikeling.com. That whole 9 pin connector thing is a hazard, bike motors use too much current for tiny pins. My ebikeling kit uses .157" bullet connectors for the motor, which in the ones from Dorman, 3M, T&B, Ideal, Panduit, are entirely suitable for 30 amps. My generic $189 motor kit uses ring terminals on 4 mm screws, which is again suitable for high currents.
I put a male on the battery minus and a female on the battery plus so I can't reverse them. I've had trouble with XT60 that luna uses, I can't get the wire to stick to the connector with solder without melting the connector. The luna weld is fine but not the one I do myself on the mating side. So I replaced XT60 with insulated .250" flag terminals that crimp on. Use a klein or ideal crimp tool for best crimp and pull test after installing. My kits both use a 6 pin rectangular connector for the sensor pickups; that seems adequate in the rains we get around here.
If you don't like your frame, go to the flea market & find something else. That will need new cables and tires, likely, another $50 perhaps.
I'd say stay away from displays, if it fails you can never find another that matches your controller. Luna had quit selling them in June and the one I got with the $189 DD motor kit from ebay has red,yellow green LED's on the throttle housing for the battery voltage. That is entirely enough information IMHO.
You might be able to salvage your battery, but you've got to get to the wires to cut the custom connector off and put on generic crimp on connectors. If the connection to the 9 pin harness is internal you're probably out of luck. With a 9 pin connector going to the motor, you'd have to take the cover off the motor & solder on 14 ga wires instead of that wimpy harness, to reuse it. I might try it but I've had 61 years fooling with electricity. When soldering be sure to use an iron that is hot enough and has enough watts. 14 ga requires about 130 W whatever it is soldered to. Wear safety glasses, solder splashes. Soldering inside the battery is a hazard, those things are ready to burst into flame at the first mistake. I wouldn't do it.

smoz

Thanks a lot for the advice! I thought Blix would be reputable enough as there are a couple of stores in my town that carry it. I guess I'm sorely disappointed that these companies would rather spend their money on marketing than hiring staff who knows what they are talking about. At some point their staff could not even tell me what type of connection was used for the latest battery. If you are going to sell something, you better know it inside out. They just design a pretty frame, slap on the cheapest Chinese motor and controller they could find, jack up the price, and call it a day. Plus there is a sustainability problem with a company that wants to sell you another entire bike because they have failed to stock on older parts (Imagine Toyota not having parts for a 2014 models of their cars). I am grateful for the internet and the knowledge of the community. I was not aware of 9 pins being a hazard as my bike was working fine for years. I think the battery is pretty salvageable as it has pins coming out into a controller enclosure that is easy to access.

AlanDB

As a Blix owner myself, I have to agree that this response from Blix is a disappointment. Since I bought my Blix new from a LBS, I hope that if I ever need repair, I will get a better response from both Blix and my LBS.

smoz

I have a feeling that they may not be around judging by how this is going. I also checked their website and they have completely taken out the old style chargers and batteries (that my bike uses), and are completely out of stock for batteries. (It took them 3 weeks to ship mine). I hope it's not a business strategy to keep people buying new gear from them, because that is NOT how regular bicycles have worked in the past. The cream will always rise to the top. Hopefully by the time that you run into bike troubles the technology will be more advanced, standardized and easier to swap for parts sort of like how non electric bikes are.