Can I switch batteries?

DouglasB

Both my wife and I bought the same bike at the same time and have the same mileage on our bikes. At the outset of our trip the other day she had a range of 65 miles in Eco mode and I had 47 in the same mode. My guess is it's because I'm 50 pounds heavier than she is but I would like to test my theory and switch batteries to see what my computer tells me, after riding with her battery? Will my computer continue to show the same higher range with her battery or will it sense that it's working harder and show less range? I know the computer monitors the battery use, so my concern is if I will be screwing anything up by switching them around for the test?

Timpo

What do you mean by computer will be screwed up?

I think your battery gauge only works as a multimeter, so if you switch your battery, the monitor will show the battery life whatever it can sense the voltage.

So you put your battery, if it senses 54.6V (assuming you have 48V lithium ion battery), then it will show 100%.
If it senses 50.7V, then it will show 75%.
I don't think switching back and forth the battery will screw up the computer in any way.

Also, every battery is slightly different.
I am guessing the reason why you're getting less range is you weigh 50 lbs, but your battery "might" be starting to lose range earlier.. or maybe factor of both.

1545991790982.png

DouglasB

Both batteries only have a thousand miles on them in about a year's time. What I meant by "screwing up the computer" isn't because I was worried about actually harming anything. I was thinking that the computer and the battery it came with are somewhat paired. The computer saves information about that battery. I know that some of the computers do a lot more than show you how fast you are going and how much charge your battery has. My concern was minor in that I thought it might mess with diagonostics or something if you were to use a different battery?

Timpo

Both batteries only have a thousand miles on them in about a year's time. What I meant by "screwing up the computer" isn't because I was worried about actually harming anything. I was thinking that the computer and the battery it came with are somewhat paired. The computer saves information about that battery. I know that some of the computers do a lot more than show you how fast you are going and how much charge your battery has. My concern was minor in that I thought it might mess with diagonostics or something if you were to use a different battery?
Sorry I am not sure what you meant?
Your computer saves the info about your battery?

My bike is Juiced, which is a relatively simple bike, and I'm already on my second battery after my first battery started to lose range.

Does your ebike have some kind of high tech monitor that tracks how many times your battery had been charged, etc?
I'm assuming that your bike's battery can be taken out from your bike, if that's the case I don't know how computer can keep a track of battery status?
What if you get a new battery? Do you just press reset button?

Sorry I'm not being helpful here.

rich c

I've swapped Bosch batteries between my two Haibikes for almost 3 years now. Not certain on this, but I think the range is based on the last mile ridden. I don't know all the parameters the computer uses, but it certainly doesn't care what battery pack I use.

DouglasB

I guess it's pretty much a non issue for most folks but I know on some bikes, the shop can use diagnostics to tell you a lot more about your battery and electrical system than is available to the rider. If you switch out batteries it might somehow effect this information? I'm thinking if you got a new battery, it would work perfectly fine but you might need to reset something? I'm not expecting anything drastic but I can see the shop technician looking at a diagnostic readout and scratching his head.

Feliz

I routinely switch batteries on my bikes, as long as the battery has the same form factor and connectors you shouldn't have any issue.

Ravi Kempaiah

t the outset of our trip the other day she had a range of 65 miles in Eco mode and I had 47 in the same mode. My guess is it's because I'm 50 pounds heavier than she is but I would like to test my theory and switch batteries to see what my computer tells me, after riding with her battery? Will my computer continue to show the same higher range with her battery or will it sense that it's working harder and show less range?
Here is a potential answer Doug:

Bosch calculates the remaining range using a built-in algorithm that monitors the previous usage pattern for the last few miles (assist level, speed, temperature) and projects an estimated range left.

Imagine you and your wife started with 100% battery and stopped 20 miles later. Your battery is showing 50% left and hers is showing 65% left. At this point, you switch batteries.
Now, you are few lbs heavier and just before you start, your capacity will not be 65% (as it was showing on her bike) but the controller will look into YOUR riding pattern and the new batter's state of charge (which is 65% on her bike) and as a result, your screen will show more than 50% remaining but less than 65% and after you go another 1-2 miles, the algorithm will re-adjust itself for your riding pattern and re-calibrate itself quickly.

I would love to know what you find.

PS: Former owner of Haibike(s), current owner of BULLS S-pedelec and Riese and Muller Delite and this is my observation of my Bosch batteries.

DouglasB

Bosch calculates the remaining range using a built-in algorithm that monitors the previous usage pattern for the last few miles (assist level, speed, temperature) and projects an estimated range left.

Imagine you and your wife started with 100% battery and stopped 20 miles later. Your battery is showing 50% left and hers is showing 65% left. At this point, you switch batteries.
Now, you are few lbs heavier and just before you start, your capacity will not be 65% (as it was showing on her bike) but the controller will look into YOUR riding pattern and the new batter's state of charge (which is 65% on her bike) and as a result, your screen will show more than 50% remaining but less than 65% and after you go another 1-2 miles, the algorithm will re-adjust itself for your riding pattern and re-calibrate itself quickly.

PS: Former owner of Haibike(s), current owner of BULLS S-pedelec and Riese and Muller Delite and this is my observation of my Bosch batteries.
Thanks, that helps. I'll keep you posted. Might be a while though.

rich c

You know, you never did tell us what ebike you have. Most of us gave you Bosch information, but I'd say we are just spitting in the wind until you divulge the make. Why not go right to the dealer and have a certified tech ease your mind?

steve mercier

Ravi nailed it . I swap batteries routinely with my wife. After 50 km she will have about 12 more km remaining on any of our battieries and if at that point if we switch we usually run out at the same time.

FlatSix911

Both my wife and I bought the same bike at the same time and have the same mileage on our bikes. At the outset of our trip the other day she had a range of 65 miles in Eco mode and I had 47 in the same mode. My guess is it's because I'm 50 pounds heavier than she is but I would like to test my theory and switch batteries to see what my computer tells me, after riding with her battery? Will my computer continue to show the same higher range with her battery or will it sense that it's working harder and show less range? I know the computer monitors the battery use, so my concern is if I will be screwing anything up by switching them around for the test?
You can swap batteries back and forth without any problems. The current range data will be recalculated after riding.

Do you have the Shimano Steps system with Eco, Normal and High ranges?