Cannondale Contro-e Short Review

benzy

Also a pic of my pannier mod to allow smaller diameter clips to fit. Simple rubber insulated hose clamps mounted offeset to level the tube, and 1/2' aluminum tube from the hardware store. There are surely other ways, but this works for me.

SColumbusSt

Greetings,

I've had a Contro-e for about seven months and use it for my 25 mile round trip commute. The odometer just rolled over 2000 miles and I've had no real issues with the bike. Once I thought the motor had broken as all of a sudden I felt no resistance while pedaling after going over a speedbump at a good clip. I pulled over to examine the situation and initially could not figure out what could be wrong. My dim witted brain slowly realized that even if the motor was broken I should still be able to ride, the chain looked attached on the crank and on the cassette. I finally realized the chain had jumped off the teeth of the crank and somehow perfectly seated itself on the round plastic chain guard so the pedals were going round and round but not driving the chain. Moved the chain back onto the crank and off I went. I slow down for that speedbump now.

Keith

Pasquale

Well..the bike is not overbuilt if you look purely at the geometry of the frame. You must consider I had the 45km/h highspeed model. Riding in a big city with a lot of cobble stones and bad roads. At this speed the frame experiences a lot more forces on the frame and suspension fork. This model is not engineerd to handle those forces. But it was promoted to be the ultimate urban Ebike. At the end before it was stolen the front suspension blocked completely. It should be replaced for the 4th! time. Never took it off-road. 2 Cannondale dealers confirmed my experiences.
I now own a Riese/Muller Multicharger Highspeed. Now that's an overbuilt Ebike..
My 2 cents.
Cheers.

DouglasB

I had the same thing happen with my chain, it jumped the front sprocket. The plastic guard is absolutely useless. It does a lousy job of keeping your pants off the chain and it's not strong enough to prevent a chain from jumping. Worse yet, once it's mashed, there is no getting it back into shape and it can rubb the chain causing more issues. I looked on line and there is an aftermarket fix for it. https://www.merlincycles.com/bosch-e-chainguard-nut-101043.html It works and looks great.

Last edited:

DouglasB

They are one of the few suppliers I could find and I believe are out of england. Good people to do business with.

DouglasB

My wife has the same bike and she hasn't had the problem with the bent guide yet but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to just go ahead and replace her's as well. I don't know how long they will be avaliable and once that plastic shield is bent it's a goner. I rode mine without a guard for a while, without any issues, until my new one came