Chain Life

Johnny

So it seems KMC E chains are working for some (3500+ miles)and failing around 1000-1500miles for the others.

Has anybody tried standard versions(Not ebike specific ones) of these chains? I really am curious how a chain like kmc X10.93 (or shimano equivalent) holds against something like X10E on a mid drive. I suspect that the first one may just snap.

In my case I thought the sudden wear on the chain (happened in a matter of 20-30 miles) was related to me switching to RnR(The first time I used it , it did a good job of cleaning the chain but I was't sure if it lubed enough since the chain felt dry after a couple of rides and most of that lube is a cleaning/carrying agent). KMC chains may be very prone to running dry maybe?

Jaxx

For my road bikes, which are all Dura Ace fitted components, I dump the chain in favour of KMC chain's. This was on the advice of my mechanic, who has worked on the UCI Pro Tour.

Taff

Has anyone studied wear and tear on drive and rear sprockets when changing chains. You never ever change a motorcycle chain without sprockets so some of this must transfer over to an e MTB. New chain on worn sprockets is just asking for trouble.

PDoz

Has anyone studied wear and tear on drive and rear sprockets when changing chains. You never ever change a motorcycle chain without sprockets so some of this must transfer over to an e MTB. New chain on worn sprockets is just asking for trouble.
I understand the theory - premature stretching of the chain as it was pulled up the worn tooth . I guess our bike sprockets already have freaky shaped teeth to assist with shifting , plus most of the abuse they get is being bent and stretched as we shift under load?

Ps When running decent motorbike rear sprockets ( like chaingang - I miss them...) I would get 2chains to a rear sprocket but still replace the smaller front each time - the second chain would last about 75% as long . It's hard to be precise on this, because I'd always replace the whole set before any dessert trip over 10,000 km, and the " second set" would then have to cope with local conditions ( mud, rocky hills, more agressive riding)

Hi!

Two Haibike sduro fullnine 2019 8.0 and 4.0, original chains kmc e10.
On the 8.0, chain wear 0.75% in about 900 Km (ridden by me, mostly eco, std on steep slopes, always used the big cogs)
On the 4.0, chain wear 0.75% in about 500 Km (ridden by my girlfriend, used a lot of assistance, possibly wrong gearing sometimes on steep slopes).

Both chains have been taken care of, degreased and lubed after each ride.

When I bought the replacement chain for me there was also another one with rust protection (EcoProTeq).
I opted for the simple one because:
a) it was cheaper
b) my original chain looks brand new, no way in hell it developed rust in 900 Km, I see no reason to pay extra to protect from something which won't happen because it wears out quicker that it rusts