Cheaper 3rd party Yamaha battery. Probably only for the brave and adventurous...

Discussion in 'Haibike Forum' started by JayVee, Aug 30, 2017.

1. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

Edit: This battery might not be compatible with Yamaha systems produced after 2016. Check before buying.

A cheaper 3rd party Yamaha battery has surfaced. The price on various EU web sites for the 13Ah variant is about 400-420 US$. It's also present on Alibaba, but at a price that almost seems too good to be true.

Gotta say that I'm almost tempted as I need a second battery. A couple of the German Pedelec forum users tried it. Verdict: it performs slightly less well than the original when the power draw is high (i.e. going up a steep hill).

As listed on Yampe:

http://www.yampe.com/product/detail...nd_id=66&item=3060&submit=nothing&person_id=0

Alibaba listing:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724857.2017115.73.2bd13975T0dPH1

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Bicyclista and Manu like this.

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. George S.

George S. Well-Known Member

The Alibaba version with 11AH specifies Samsung 22P cells. This is an old and cheap cell, but one that has stood the test of time (from about 2010). If you take 50 cells that cost around $2, put them in a case that has to be reverse engineered, and assemble it with a robotic spot welder, what should it cost?

It's an interesting question. Canon and Panasonic resisted knock-off batteries for their cameras, and to some extent they succeeded. But it's not very customer friendly. There's not a whole lot to an ebike battery, though people can argue the safety elements. I don't know when CNC equipment becomes cheap enough for companies to want to make knock-offs, but it is pretty soon.

JayVee likes this.
  4. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

5. david salisbury

david salisbury New Member

How bad can it be?, I am going to get one.. report when i have tested it.

JayVee likes this.
  6. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

There are 3 sizes. Which one are you getting?

7. david salisbury

If Alibaba ever replies to me, i would get the largest.

8. david salisbury

I was told i cant buy just 1.

Sorry, we don't supply battery for one piece order. If you wanna buy for own use, i suggest you buy from local store.

9. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

The same battery is available on amazon and on e-bay. I'm pretty sure the Alibaba listing was for 1 battery min. purchase when I posted it. Guess it was a mistake.