Como Crank Sprocket Change.

Love my Como but felt it was geared too low for where and how I ride so I had my LBS change out the crank sprocket. Went from the factory 40T to a 48T and what a difference. My comfortable cruising speed went from 18mph to 23mph with the same effort. I can now max it out at 28mph without feeling like a Hamster in a wheel. There are no hills where I live and my routs are fairly long and straight with little or no traffic so this works for me. I sometimes ride with my roadie son and friends and this is the only way I’m keeping up at my age. Plus, they love to draft when the winds blowing.

TForan

Good to hear. I'm going from a 44T to 52 on my Biktrix . Did you have to swap in a longer chain ?

Last edited:

Marci jo

My 2018 Vado came with a 48 tooth chain ring. Really helps on the speed pedalec. It cruises so effortlessly. :)
Glad you didn’t need to get a different derailer.

PaD

I went the other way. :)
My EU ( 25kph/16mph) Vado 5.0 came with a 48 tooth so I ordered a 40 tooth. Suits me fine, I had that on a Vado 4.0 last year. Same 11 speed 11-42 cassette.
I like a cadence of 80 -90 though I’m not always pedalling like that and I’m not often above 18mph.

MutinyGuy

Love my Como but felt it was geared too low for where and how I ride so I had my LBS change out the crank sprocket. Went from the factory 40T to a 48T and what a difference. My comfortable cruising speed went from 18mph to 23mph with the same effort. I can now max it out at 28mph without feeling like a Hamster in a wheel. There are no hills where I live and my routs are fairly long and straight with little or no traffic so this works for me. I sometimes ride with my roadie son and friends and this is the only way I’m keeping up at my age. Plus, they love to draft when the winds blowing.
Yes I agree, I changed my Como 3.0 to a 48 tooth and much happier with the performance!

jim6b

Yes I agree, I changed my Como 3.0 to a 48 tooth and much happier with the performance!
May do the same on a Vado 3.0, but am concerned the effect it would have on the warranty. Have another 1.4 years and would prefer to keep it in effect.

Did you see a warranty issue?

MutinyGuy

May do the same on a Vado 3.0, but am concerned the effect it would have on the warranty. Have another 1.4 years and would prefer to keep it in effect.

Did you see a warranty issue?
No I spoke to Specialized about the upgrade and they told me would not be any problem with the warranty.

Uburoibob

My new Como 3.0 (2020) came with a 48 tooth. I like it better than the 40 tooth that was on my 2019 Como 2.0.