Cycling the Pyrenees on a high-end eBike

OzGreg

I recently completed a trip to cycle some of the Cols of the Pyrenees using a hired eBike.
The bike I used is a Wilier Cento1 Hybrid which is very similar to the Orbea Gain M20 and the Bianchi Aria e-road.
These are carbon road bikes all weighing around 12kg.

Its a fairly long review of the bike and the hiring experience so I am pasting this link to my article (I hope this is allowed).

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aqp8RIWlkDJjgZAyqdlyAmls41BgCA

Attachments

Jaxx

I recently completed a trip to cycle some of the Cols of the Pyrenees using a hired eBike.
The bike I used is a Wilier Cento1 Hybrid which is very similar to the Orbea Gain M20 and the Bianchi Aria e-road.
These are carbon road bikes all weighing around 12kg.

Its a fairly long review of the bike and the hiring experience so I am pasting this link to my article (I hope this is allowed).

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aqp8RIWlkDJjgZAyqdlyAmls41BgCA
Excellent report Oz, made good reading. As a Orbea Gain M20i owner, I can confirm your findings. I also have fitted Mavic Cosmic wheels, these make descending even more fun.

OzGreg

Excellent report Oz, made good reading. As a Orbea Gain M20i owner, I can confirm your findings. I also have fitted Mavic Cosmic wheels, these make descending even more fun.
Hi Jaxx, I liked the ebikemotion setup so much, I considered coming over to the USA to purchase an M20i so I could have the 20mph boost limit. I have read that if I do that and connect the app back in Australia it will detect the country change and set the boost limit back to 25kph :mad:. Did you purchase the Mavic Cosmic rims and have them laced onto the existing hubs?

Jaxx

Hi Jaxx, I liked the ebikemotion setup so much, I considered coming over to the USA to purchase an M20i so I could have the 20mph boost limit. I have read that if I do that and connect the app back in Australia it will detect the country change and set the boost limit back to 25kph :mad:. Did you purchase the Mavic Cosmic rims and have them laced onto the existing hubs?
No, on the webpage Myo, you can bespoke certain features of your order. I went for slightly different paint scheme, wider bars, longer stem and different cassette and tyre options. Even had my name on the frame at no extra cost. The Mavics, are an optional upgrade. Believe they cost around an extra £700.

Ebiker01

Nicely written and very engaging review . I need to ride those mountains after reading it.
As a fan of e road bikes, i can add some of my knowledge of 2 great offerings: here in US they have the 28mph delimited Trek Domane e+. It’s a beautifully mAde toy and it will get even better for 2020 with the introduction of the newer , lighter Bosch. It has a 500wh battery.
Also Bmc E ROAD AMP LTD is a newer choice, i am not sure if it is delimted to 28mph. 500wh bat.
I would choose either one.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading the write up.

I live in Canada and most bikes here are limited to 32 km/hr. not 25 km/hr. though there are 25 km/hr. bikes it is fairly easy to buy a 32 km/hr. bike. What we can't get are the 45 km/hr. bikes like the Domane+ or the SuperCommuter 8+. This is frustrating because in my Province (BC) I've looked up the motor vehicle act and Class 3 (45 km/hr) bikes are legal.