Do you actually USE the gears on your e-bike?

Feliz

We can't exceed 10 kph in my retirement community and all I have to do is ride eBikes and change diapers so I've never actually changed gears on my bike, I do wave at all the other old folk though.........JERK. I'm through with this friggin forum and idiots like you.

Strange thread. I guess if you don't mind draining your battery prematurely, by all means, stay in one gear.

But if you like efficiency of self and drive train according to the road conditions before you, shifting to maintain the best economy of battery as well as personal pedaling comfort is the way to go. For myself, it's fun to see how many miles I can squeeze out of a charge, using High power, on this, my Haibike Full FatSix.

And by the way, I find Yamaha's predicted range of 53 miles on a 500wh battery fully reached, if I keep wind resistance down low by staying in the 12-14 mile per hour range. Yes, even on a fat bike. And that is done by shifting to an optimum cadence that will keep the torque sensor from "asking" for more watts out of the battery. It's fun to play "hypermiler" by going as light as possible on the crank arms, by constant shifting up and down to meet the conditions at hand, straight, downhill or uphill.

Staying in one gear kills the battery before it's true range potential is reached; it's tough on the sprockets and chain, as well as the motor, in the long run.

ChezCheese:)

We can't exceed 10 kph in my retirement community and all I have to do is ride eBikes and change diapers so I've never actually changed gears on my bike, I do wave at all the other old folk though.........JERK. I'm through with this friggin forum and idiots like you.
Goodness! Why would you some random pixels spoil your day or prevent you from enjoying the virtual comradry and useful info which predominates here on this forum?

mrgold35

I have a 750w/80nm tq rear hub 20 mph class II fat tire ebike with 7 gears and throttle. Pedaling at around 50-75 rpms seems to be my sweet spot for power+endurance when riding; which, doesn't depend on mph. I'm probably in gears 2-4 trail riding at 8-14 mph and 7th gear at 20-25 mph work commuting. I sometimes have to use gears 5-6 on stiff headwind days when work commuting to maintain my cadence; but, at a max of 14-17 mph.

I sometimes get lazy and don't down shift at a stop and use my throttle+pedaling to boost my speed instead. Mostly do this in winter when I'm wearing heavy gloves and Bar Mitts.

TForan

Does anyone know the maintenance and wear out costs of an 1/8" fixie chain and chain rings vs a 3/32 std chain, cassette, and derailleur? My guess is the cost of ownership differences would shock most riders. I know my friend replaced his chain and cassette in under 500 miles on his Yamaha mid drive ebike and he was not very happy about that but he may not have been riding it very effectively either (I think he road as if his Yamaha drive system had shift sensing.
500 miles ? With that little torque ? Someone doesn't know how to shift or something is wrong with the drivetrain. I have a fat bike with the Bafang Ultra and I ride it like I stole it and after around 1200 miles , I replaced the cassette , chainring and chain. I went to a 52T CR and that was the reason for the swap. Chain showed little to no stretch . I think this mid drive idea of greatly increased wear is a bit exaggerated.