Do you try to sell a n00b on a bike...

Thomas Jaszewski

On the bike model you ride, or take a moment to steer them towards their “needs” and desires?

I find it far more satisfying to lose a sale but get a rider on the motor that may better fit their wants and desires.

Lousy commissions but better sleep...

Dewey

I have never worked in a bike shop but the one's I like to frequent care enough about customers to want to match the right bike to meet the customers stated needs, preferred riding style, and budget. In my job as a librarian we apply Ranganathan's 5 laws of library science, the first three are: 1. Books are for use. 2. Every person his or her book. 3. Every book its reader. Turned into a bike shop context these become: 1. Bikes are for riding. 2. Every person his or her bike. 3. Every bike its rider. Cycling is so very tribal, I don't patronize bike shops that ignore potential customers, but recognize this has as much to do with what the local market will support, and business decisions, as with personal prejudice. I liked listening to Arleigh Greenwald's podcast where she has talked about cycling culture, working in a bike shop, and the bicycle industry.

steve mercier

I have never worked in a bike shop but the one's I like to frequent care enough about customers to want to match the right bike to meet the customers stated needs, preferred riding style, and budget. In my job as a librarian we apply Ranganathan's 5 laws of library science, the first three are: 1. Books are for use. 2. Every person his or her book. 3. Every book its reader. Turned into a bike shop context these become: 1. Bikes are for riding. 2. Every person his or her bike. 3. Every bike its rider. Cycling is so very tribal, I don't patronize bike shops that ignore potential customers, but recognize this has as much to do with what the local market will support, and business decisions, as with personal prejudice. I liked listening to Arleigh Greenwald's podcast where she has talked about cycling culture, working in a bike shop, and the bicycle industry.
Very good then. I have never worked in a bike shop or a library but I have a friend who sells cars. His creedo is somewhat different and quite simple : "There is an ass for every saddle" (-:

mitchhackleman

Administrator
Staff member
On the bike model you ride, or take a moment to steer them towards their “needs” and desires?

I find it far more satisfying to lose a sale but get a rider on the motor that may better fit their wants and desires.

Thomas,

I think that choosing better sleep over money is probably the way to go.
Please see this article about the hazards of not getting enough sleep :p

J.R.

I admire that stance. I haven't tried to sell the brands or models I own. And I've loved my ebikes. I'll answer direct questions about the brand. I also don't want the responsibility of directing someone to the wrong bike. So many great bikes on the market these days. There's a saddle for every butt. The problem with so much variety, it can be tough finding the right fit. Especially for the person completely new to cycling.

6zfshdb

Although I spent a great deal of time researching ebikes before buying, it's only natural that I know more about the one I ride. When questioned, I try to give a fair representation of what I've learned about ebikes in general but it's hard not to be somewhat biased by the one I own.