Does A Bafang Rear Geared Hub Spin Freely?

Handlebars

My new store bought bike came with front wheel axle nuts over-tightened, cutting down freewheeling a lot. That was easily remedied. The rear wheel is much less restricted than the front was, but it doesn't spin for a long time at all.
Before I take the wheel off I wondered "Do such rear hub wheels spin as freely or almost as freely as the front wheel?"

Thanks for any input on this question, EBR Friends.

Last edited:

harryS

They spin, and there's enough rotational mass to keep it going for 10-20 seconds, but your front wheel should spin for up to a minute. I

Turn the motor wheel backwards. Now you will feel the drag from the gears and the motor. Probably hear the gears too. When spinning forward, there's a clutch that disengages the gears. Hub motors are made such that the axle bearings aren't compressed by the nuts.

Thomas Jaszewski

My new store bought bike came with front wheel axle nuts over-tightened, cutting down freewheeling a lot. That was easily remedied. The rear wheel is much less restricted than the front was, but it doesn't spin for a long time at all.
Before I take the wheel off I wondered "Do such rear hub wheels spin as freely or almost as freely as the front wheel?"

Thanks for any input on this question, EBR Friends.
No.