Don't charge your bike battery above 80% and don't ride below 20%. Maybe, maybe not.

Thomas Jaszewski

It's 58.8V for 52V battery charger.

I bought two chargers from AliExpress and they're working great so far.

They're both 48V (54.6V) chargers and I have 3A and 4A

The 3A charger I bought is very light weight, small and compact.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958115152.html?productId=32958115152&productSubject=54-6V-3A-Battery-Charger-For-13S-48V-Li-ion-Battery-electric-bike-lithium-battery-Charger&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62a94c4dTNyriO

Here's the 4A charger, it's working great.
I had an option to go 5A, 8A, 10A and 20A(!!!) but I heard that 4A should be the limit for most cheap/basic batteries so I just got the 4A version.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841579237.html?productId=32841579237&productSubject=54-6V-4A-Charger-Fast-Charge-Auto-Stop-For-13S-48V-E-bike-Li-ion-Battery&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62a94c4dTNyriO
I've been buying low end chargers from Aliexpress. All of $10 each. But they are from a good maker. Liitokala is one of the better companies for cheap chargers. At this price I keep a few backups around. IME chargers are typically a pain in the arse. I have Satiators, but keep these around for backup and traveling. OEM's sell them for $25-$30USD!!!

Attachments

Timpo

I've been buying low end chargers from Aliexpress. All of $10 each. But they are from a good maker. Liitokala is one of the better companies for cheap chargers. At this price I keep a few backups around. IME chargers are typically a pain in the arse. I have Satiators, but keep these around for backup and traveling. OEM's sell them for $25-$30USD!!!
I did look at that charger too, but I wanted to get more than 2A so that's why I didn't get that one.

Also that liitokala charger looks exactly like Juiced OEM charger.

harryS

Not me! I still haven't seen any 4-year-old packs and their performance. As I read the specs it's perhaps less likely to have as many cycles as a few other currently popular cells. But I'm a bad engineer and all my experience is anecdotal with the GA.
Thomas, here's the cycle test data I found online for other cells in batteries I own. I have the GA in a custom pack made in the US for me, The 30Q's are popular in Luncycle packs. I have three of those. The 26F is in a EG battery pack from Crazy Lenny. The 22P come in the better, but still dreaded hoverboard packs. The higher current cells do lose more on a percent basis, but they all kind of wind up near the same place after cycle testing.

NCR 18650GA - loses 35% of original capacity after 500 cycles down to 2.1AH
Samsung 30Q - loses 40% of original capacity after 250 cycles down to 1.8 AH
Samsung 22P - loses 20% of original capacity after 300 cycles down to 1.6AH
Samsung 26F - loses 20% of original capacity after 300 cycles down to 2.0 AH

In my opinion, tmost Ebike controllers won't allow the battery to see this kind of deep cycling.

Alex M

I know it was mentioned already, But a good Volt/Ohm meter will give you a Accurate reading, and probably More accurate than your on board display. ?
Yes, but how many people invest $40-50 in a half-decent mutlimeter accurate to (at least) 2 decimal points in 100V range? You want 2 accurate points to make sure that for example, that when it reads 48.12, it is really 48.12 or 48.13 and not 48.19. Most consumers are inexperienced, they are buying $3 Ebay multimeter or same thing from Harbor Freight for $6 and think that it's accurate.

Built-in voltmeter on a charger is more convenient than multimeter, and they are cheap. Ebay is full of $1 panel meters reading 2 decimal points, the 2nd point is rounded up +/- 0.005V, I could live with that, but the readings change if you as much as frown at it. No thermal stability or some other Chinese shortcuts. Tried my luck 2 times, the 2nd time got lucky, works well.

Last edited:

Ian Moone

Yes, but how many people invest $40-50 in a half-decent mutlimeter accurate to (at least) 2 decimal points in 100V range? You want 2 accurate points to make sure that for example, that when it reads 48.12, it is really 48.12 or 48.13 and not 48.19. Most consumers are inexperienced, they are buying $3 Ebay multimeter or same thing from Harbor Freight for $6 and think that it's accurate.

Built-in voltmeter on a charger is more convenient than multimeter, and they are cheap. Ebay is full of $1 panel meters reading 2 decimal points, the 2nd point is rounded up +/- 0.005V, I could live with that, but the readings change if you as much as frown at it. No thermal stability or some other Chinese shortcuts. Tried my luck 2 times, the 2nd time got lucky, works well.
My point was, IF someone Already had a VOM in their toolbox, then that's an option. Otherwise Walmart has them for Less than $20 ,which is still a good thing to have at your disposal, but Yes voltage sag is no big deal . ?

Timpo

Any opinions on the Luna Advanced chargers?

TT
Depending on your needs. Luna chargers are AliExpress charger.
Luna's normal chargers are 2A, but if you go on AliExpress, you can get 4A, 8A, 10A and 20A.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841579237.html?productId=32841579237&productSubject=54-6V-4A-Charger-Fast-Charge-Auto-Stop-For-13S-48V-E-bike-Li-ion-Battery&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52754c4d6MLG4o

The Advanced charger from Luna will let you select the charging rate, it's a nice feature if you want to change the charging rate, but otherwise I'd just get one from AliExpress. (although Luna seem to set their prices very well )

Roxlimn

I use a Giant pre-built ebike. I charge to about 90+% or 100% whenever I intend to ride the next day, which is nearly everyday. The new charger and battery has a 60% cutoff that I would use if I had to not use the bike for a while. I never use the bike to below 20% capacity since the bundled charge indicator is useless at that point anyway, arbitrarily going to 10 and then 0% suddenly and unpredictably.

For all intents and purposes, I treat 20% as zero percent on both my Giant ebikes.

PaD

Sometimes when I’ve charged my battery (Vado 5.0 600Wh battery) I notice that charge level increases 2% after charger is disconnected.
I’ve also found that charge level can drop 4% over night. If I return after a ride and battery is 62% I may find that the following day battery is 58%

DDBB

In summary, everyone should stop obsessing over their batteries but remember; don't charge to 100% and don't discharge below 20%. Store at 40% and avoid heat, cold and don't get the battery wet and don't drop it.