E-Bike Battery Guide

JRA

oh. Never had a problem with the two I have had over the years. I would just spend the extra money and get a CA that will last a lifetime, probably, unless you get it soaking wet by leaving it exposed on the back of a car while it is raining. But the time I did that I was heading for Vancouver and a visit to Grin a few years ago. As it turns out it was a CAII anyway and they graciously swapped it out for a CAIII for the cost difference between the two models. Now I put a baggie over it held on by a small bungie.....

Ravi Kempaiah

@Asher has a neat write-up on using timers as a proxy smart charger to control the charging the process.

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ttery-saver-satiator-a-10-outlet-timer.22564/

If you are interested in seeing what goes on inside the batteries, here is a cool demonstration. However, this battery is NOT what is used in E-bike batteries. Lithium as a pure metal is not used for regular 18650 batteries. The dendrite formation problem once solved, could lead to some super high-range batteries.

Ravi Kempaiah

Winter battery care tips from E-bike School.

It is true that when you charge your batteries at very cold temperatures ( 0 deg Celsius or below), the Lithium ions get plated on the anode, which leads to capacity loss.
There are methods to overcome this by quickly heating the cell but this is not part of cell manufacturing technology. (If you want to read more: http://www.pnas.org/content/115/28/7266)

To put it in layman terms.... you can consume let's say 4 slices of pizza on a normal day but when you are ill, you can't take in the same quantity, what would happen if you still try to push the same 4 slices when your stomach is unable to accept it?

Similarly, anode in a battery can accept Li-ions at a fairly high rate when the temp is high ( late spring-summer) but when the temp begins to drop, the anode's capacity to accept the incoming Li-ions goes down and they get plated on the surface blocking the pathways. So, by charging your battery at very cold temperatures, you are blocking the Li-ion pathways in the anode material.