E-bike specific Internal Gear Hub by Shimano for 2019

Ravi Kempaiah

Side-to-side movement of the chain and extra stress/torque by the motor are some of the causes for accelerated wear on the drivetrain. Quality IGH's are expensive (Rohloff). A quality hub that doesn't cost an arm but still provide decent performance is very welcome.

For 2019, Shimano is releasing a new IGH called "Nexus Inter 5". https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/prod...trekking-e-bike-e6100-series/SG-C7000-5D.html

It is by far the lightest IGH (5lbs lesser than Nuvinci and 1lbs lesser than Rohloff). The gear ratio is less than Rohloff and is designed for bikes with 20mph limit in mind. I hope this will be spec'ed on many more bikes.
Some examples are.

Few of the BULLS models in EU.
https://www.bulls.de/produkt/bulls-urbanevo5-795-86048?sku=795-86048_ZEG

Ravi Kempaiah

The weight is comparable to the old Alfine Nexus 11. That hub is only 15 grams heavier and has 11 gears and a 403% total gear ratio versus 5 gears and a 263% total gear ratio for the SG-C7000-5D.

This looks like a lower end version of the Nexus 11 with a narrower range of gears for use on flatter terrain.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/alfine-s7000s700/SG-S7001-11.html
It is designed with 20mph/350W pedelecs in mind. I agree with the limited range. It may not work for all kinds of steep terrains.
I expect this is to last better than the Alfine because it is designed for E-bikes. It is already spec'ed o Shimano E-7000 powered eBikes.
I will report back once I get to put some miles on this IGH this summer.

JayVee

It is designed with 20mph/350W pedelecs in mind. I agree with the limited range. It may not work for all kinds of steep terrains.
I expect this is to last better than the Alfine because it is designed for E-bikes. It is already spec'ed o Shimano E-7000 powered eBikes.
I will report back once I get to put some miles on this IGH this summer.
The Alfine 11 required frequent maintenance. I used to borrow from a fleet of bikes equipped with the Nexus 11, and there was always one or two bikes that had trouble changing gears. It was often quickly adjusted by the mechanic, but still a little annoying.

JRA

Paired with a belt this seems like a viable alternative for commuter type bikes for sure. By reducing the amount of speeds it has probably left them with room for more substantially rugged inner gears that will withstand the additional torque required by eBikes. The fact that it doesn't weigh all the much less supports this?

Cable tension adjustment relative to the shifting fork is as JayVee says critical and as cables will stretch from new with use I find the big problem with IGH's is not so much the gears while engaged but the act of shifting under load and the stress it puts on the gears while in between if not properly adjusted. That is why it is good to back off while shifting but not everyone gets the importance of that, especially newer rider types that may be attracted to as simple a bike as possible.

Ravi Kempaiah

The Alfine 11 required frequent maintenance. I used to borrow from a fleet of bikes equipped with the Nexus 11, and there was always one or two bikes that had trouble changing gears. It was often quickly adjusted by the mechanic, but still a little annoying.
The neat thing is it can be run with Di2. If it holds up better than the Alfine, then we have a cheaper alternative for E-14.

Ravi Kempaiah

By reducing the amount of speeds it has probably left them with room for more substantially rugged inner gears that will withstand the additional torque required by eBikes.
That's exactly the thought behind this product.
Apparently it works with Di2, makes it lot more easier. And Di2 is a proven, solid technology used in Xt and XTR Di2 groupsets.
I know you had some trouble getting the hub to fit in your dropout and I hope this won't be an issue on pre-built bikes.

JRA

That's exactly the thought behind this product.
Apparently it works with Di2, makes it lot more easier. And Di2 is a proven, solid technology used in Xt and XTR Di2 groupsets.
I know you had some trouble getting the hub to fit in your dropout and I hope this won't be an issue on pre-built bikes.
I believe I would have perhaps not had the issue with the proper non turn washer in place

20558.jpg

however even after discovering the importance of these and getting the right ones I would advise anyone using any Alfine system to be sure they use the appropriate ones for their drop out design which shouldn't be a problem with pre-built bikes anyway.

JayVee

The neat thing is it can be run with Di2. If it holds up better than the Alfine, then we have a cheaper alternative for E-14.
The older Alfine 11 was also using electronic shifters. I still have the cockpit pictures. There are 4 buttons. The left two are gear change and the right two are assist levels. That's why I could never understand the necessity to adjust the gears... Somehow it didn't compute in my brain.

that's pretty cool. i still have a cable actuated alfine 8 on my mountain bike. it's very sensitive to cable tension/adjustment. it does not shift well under much load, so your riding style naturally changes. the alfine 11's were known to blow up internally. i'd be curious to try this.

JRA

That Husky ticks all the boxes for a sensible eBike that anyone would be lucky to have in the shed except for maybe belt drive. I especially like the battery placement behind the seat tube which mimics some of the older style bikes and for a utilitarian purpose bike like this makes a lot of sense. A longer chainstay on a bike like this is a benefit for stability sake. Plus it is a light color so Ebike Mom should be happy!

The Puello's really have done a lot for the progression of eBikes over the years and it's nice to see them still pushing the e nvelope. This type of eBike is what the EU cut it's teeth on and one can only hope that bike like it will overtake the focus of eMtb's here in the US in the near future.