E-bike specific Internal Gear Hub by Shimano for 2019

Ravi Kempaiah

Sorry, fumble fingered above... What I was trying to say was, looking at the specs it looks like this hub starts at a higher gear. That would also explain for the lighter weight given that the lower gear cogs are bigger. So to me this sounds like a good e-bike hub because who really needs the added range of granny gears?
That's right. Gearing is very important on a pedal powered bike but on an ebike, you don't really need 500% gear range for city riding conditions. Motor compensates a lot for that.
In fact, SRAM released eMTB specific EX1 drivetrain with only 8 speeds but it does have higher gear range for mountain biking conditions.
The biggest advantage with this Nexus Inter 5 is that you can pair it with Di2 and combined with E8000 motor, it's a great system for moderately varying terrain.

Last edited:

Chris Nolte

I imagine one of the big applications for this hub will be bikeshare. We’ve worked closely with all the major guys in this space and It’s been really tough for them to find an affordable hub that requires minimal service. Citibike has been switching all their hubs to Enviolo but they aren’t cheap.

Overall it’s great to see Shimano doing more in this space at a time where the other big guys like SRAM are pulling out of IGH production.

Feliz

I have both the Alfine 8 and 11 and these are giving me good service with 90 and 110 nm motors. The Alfine 8 is an improvement over the Nexus 8 which did give some early problems. The key to any IGH is to use common sense when shifting, they don't work well in a mountain biking scenario. Shimano are close to releasing a fully enclosed transmission which apparently fits in the BB, or partially fits. Bikeradar and others have videos out on it.

Johnny

IMO 5 speed is a little too few, I will be very happy with 7-8 gears though if the range is adequate. With regular bikes you want to be as precise and efficient as possible so higher gear count makes sense but I found this not to be the case with ebikes.

Although I agree that many people will not need %500 with ebikes I also think that below %400 becomes restrictive. The 5 speed Shimano hub has %265 range which seems too narrow.

What prevents Shimano from coming up with a solid 7/8 speed hub with a range about %400?

I have both the Alfine 8 and 11 and these are giving me good service with 90 and 110 nm motors. The Alfine 8 is an improvement over the Nexus 8 which did give some early problems. The key to any IGH is to use common sense when shifting, they don't work well in a mountain biking scenario. Shimano are close to releasing a fully enclosed transmission which apparently fits in the BB, or partially fits. Bikeradar and others have videos out on it.

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions. I really wanted to go Alfine 11 since it has a nice range and priced nicely but from what I read I see that people have mixed experiences with it(I also realized that Shimano overhauled it last year and the current version is said to be more durable than the previous one). How are you liking it for high speeds (under a combined say 600-700W load) and maybe some cross country riding?

I also see that it needs a specific shifter since indexing happens outside the hub, is the shifter durable , should one go for DI2 or manual shifter for longevity? Given that one does not shift under load do you think it is reliable?

Ravi Kempaiah

Although I agree that many people will not need %500 with ebikes I also think that below %400 becomes restrictive. The 5 speed Shimano hub has %265 range which seems too narrow.

What prevents Shimano from coming up with a solid 7/8 speed hub with a range about %400?
This is designed for 15.5mph EU bikes in mind. I am sure it is fine upto 20mph.
The ratio of non speed bikes to speed pedelecs in EU is something like 99:1.

And EU sells several order more E-bikes than US. So, whatever you and I recommend to Shimano, absolutely means nothing. In 2017, few million Bosch motors were sold in EU where as it was something like 8000 or so in the US. Although the US market is growing, it is simply a round-off error to most companies. That is why most products are first released in the EU market. That is why companies like FOCUS, Kalkhoff etc left the US market. The infrastructure is minimal, the market is geared towards <$2000 bikes.

Here is what Mikey learnt when he went to Bosch 2020 unveiling event.

As it turns out, Europe has a baffling problem with eBike legislation. Here’s one example. In Germany and UK, what percentage of total Bosch eBikes use the 45kmph system? 30%? 40%? My educated guess, having worked for and in eBike shops would be about 20-30%. I was told by the UK Bosch sales manager it’s less than 1%. A Bosch eBike HQ employee told me the same thing about Germany. The problem is regulation. Getting a 45kmph bike means extra taxes, fees, registration, insurance, and mandated lights, and license plate. All of this costs about $1,000 on the outset, and about $400 a year after that. Bosch has been fighting hard to oppose restrictive legislation, like these and the “two meter rule”, which was totally foreign to me. The CEO was ardent in his opposition of this law, but I never did figure out what it was.

Ideally, as you said, if Shimano were to develop a robust 10-speed IGH with 500% range specifically E-bikes, that would be great. I have a Rohloff E-bike and have never used the gears 1,2,3,4, and 5 is used very rarely.
Also, Alfine-11 doesn't perform well for E-bikes with 350+ watt motors. It was not designed for that kind of torque. You can give it a try..

Feliz

IMO 5 speed is a little too few, I will be very happy with 7-8 gears though if the range is adequate. With regular bikes you want to be as precise and efficient as possible so higher gear count makes sense but I found this not to be the case with ebikes.

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions. I really wanted to go Alfine 11 since it has a nice range and priced nicely but from what I read I see that people have mixed experiences with it(I also realized that Shimano overhauled it last year and the current version is said to be more durable than the previous one). How are you liking it for high speeds (under a combined say 600-700W load) and maybe some cross country riding?

I also see that it needs a specific shifter since indexing happens outside the hub, is the shifter durable , should one go for DI2 or manual shifter for longevity? Given that one does not shift under load do you think it is reliable?
I agree, I was going to buy a bike ( mountain bike ) with the SRAM EX1 8 speed eBike specific setup and after a test ride with the bike which had a Shimano E8000 motor and I found it totally lacking

It depends on the bike, I have an eProdigy Magic Pro with the Alfine 8, the eProdigy is a very powerful mid drive unit, with all the torque I find the 8 gears fine.

The Alfine 11 is a good IGH if shifted properly, I don't believe they've made an IGH that works well for rough off road use like mountain biking. I use a gear sensor or back off pedalling when using any of my IGH including my Rohloff. I prefer manual shifting and the stock Shimano hand shifter works fine. Most of the IGH units are controlled by cables and they need to be kept adjusted and that includes the Rohloff.