E-MT1000 750W Mid-Drive Project

flymeaway

From what you know here in 2019, would you choose again to retrofit your cannondale tandem with the latest Bafang kit, or spend significantly more to purchase one of the very few factory built electric tandems?
Haven't looked at any electric tandems so it's hard for me to comment. I'd probably still retrofit a good tandem instead of buying. I would use a mid-drive and instead of a rear derailer, I'd use a Rohloff Speedhub.

Court J.

Thomas Jaszewski

Haven't looked at any electric tandems so it's hard for me to comment. I'd probably still retrofit a good tandem instead of buying. I would use a mid-drive and instead of a rear derailer, I'd use a Rohloff Speedhub.

Court J.
Fitting a mid drive kit on a tandem is very difficult. It requires some engineering and custom parts. The captain presents a real problem.

We did have a solution but no longer support or produce the fix. https://california-ebike.com/electric-assist-tandems-finally/
"The solution was to install the mid drive in the Captain position and coupling to the Stoker on the right side (contrary to convention) and adding a free wheel at the stoker position. The free wheel is needed for safety and frees up the need for synchronization."

Nxkharra

This is a work of beauty.
as I mentioned in my other post we just sold our 2015 Cannondale 29er MTB.
I looked for someone to help me find a place to convert to ebike. No one responded so we sold.
this work would be sooooo nice with ours.
great job.
Wish I knew this couple of weeks ago.
here is couple of pics of our Cannondale tandem.

Attachments

Thomas Jaszewski

This is a work of beauty.
as I mentioned in my other post we just sold our 2015 Cannondale 29er MTB.
I looked for someone to help me find a place to convert to ebike. No one responded so we sold.
this work would be sooooo nice with ours.
great job.
Wish I knew this couple of weeks ago.
here is couple of pics of our Cannondale tandem.
Don’t feel to badly. Not all are as easy a conversion as described. I support a BBSxx seller and after vetting several customers we decided a BBS02 conversion wouldn’t be the right move. I hate missing a sale, but kitting isn’t always possible or easy.