E-trike for relatively short trips with some cargo capacity for 70+ year old

rich c

I worked in Coral Springs for 11 years - it had levees built around it with giant drainage pumps so when it rained more than 2 or 3 inches, the giant pumps would kick on. So, right, you're not too far off with the sea level thing.

On the other hand there are some good sized inclines coming out of bike/golf cart under and over passes. And central FL has some nice hills - not like western NC mountains where I live now, though.

As I suggested earlier, the noise of the tires on a bike is not all bad - a bit of a "here I come" noise will give folks a heads up.

My limited experience with delta trikes generally is if the driver is too aggressive in turns, he will either 2-wheel it or dump over. There is a "leaning" curve (pun intended) involved in aggressive turn management. I learned that when test driving a relatively low slung pedal powered delta a couple years ago.

So which trike do you suggest as a fun hauler?
I suggest you ride a knobby tired trike before you decide if the noise isn't that bad. When I finally got off the pavement and on grass with my tad pole, it was like heaven that the noise stopped. I ride for relaxation, not to hear an endless rumble.
I have very few places I can go to haul things. I'm very fearful of getting hit from behind on streets from distracted drivers. My wife was rear ended twice in 1 1/2 years in our car. Both times sitting still at a red light! I'm also not a fan of riding around 10mph with a traditional trike. The only hauler I would be interested in is a cargo two wheeler.

I suggest you ride a knobby tired trike before you decide if the noise isn't that bad. When I finally got off the pavement and on grass with my tad pole, it was like heaven that the noise stopped. I ride for relaxation, not to hear an endless rumble.
I have very few places I can go to haul things. I'm very fearful of getting hit from behind on streets from distracted drivers. My wife was rear ended twice in 1 1/2 years in our car. Both times sitting still at a red light! I'm also not a fan of riding around 10mph with a traditional trike. The only hauler I would be interested in is a cargo two wheeler.
The trikes I'm mostly interested in go to speeds of 20+mph.

I'm having trouble figuring out how a two wheel hauler would be better or safer than a well designed motorized trike for a 70+ year old guy. I expect to keep my trips confined to my fairly extensive community on either bike paths or 25 mph streets with occasional trips to contiguous shopping.

Regarding tire noise from nobby tires, one poster earlier mentioned he prefers knobbies because they are less likely to get punctured by road debris. That would be my thinking and priority as well. My primary purpose in riding will be more utilitarian (shopping, hauling, exercise) more than relaxation. I relax by sitting, reading, watching TV or birds more than riding a bike keeping my head on a swivel to keep myself from getting run over by a truck.

Those "crowd funded" scare the hell or of me. Send us your money and we'll order a container of pre sold bikes when enough people send us money. You'll get it at the end of summer if you are lucky.
I was texting with a fellow at eTrike.com last night. Within the next couple of months they are coming out with nearly the exact trike as that yellow Addmotor chopper. Of course they're claiming a few more "refinements", but how would they know that Motan isn't doing their own 'refinements" unless eTrike had spies in their shop?

ELK

I was texting with a fellow at eTrike.com last night. Within the next couple of months they are coming out with nearly the exact trike as that yellow Addmotor chopper. Of course they're claiming a few more "refinements", but how would they know that Motan isn't doing their own 'refinements" unless eTrike had spies in their shop?
Do they have a website? Is that electric trike.com?

Those "crowd funded" scare the hell or of me. Send us your money and we'll order a container of pre sold bikes when enough people send us money. You'll get it at the end of summer if you are lucky.
To get this thread back on track, my point wasn't crowd funding sites or scaring the hell out of anyone. It was to show a new design of an e-trike to ask those who are more knowledgable than I, in the context of my opening post , how well it might meet my criteria compared to:

* Available fat trikes
* Evelo Compass

I do like the idea of a more semi-recumbant design of this new model, but would like other opinions, pro and con.

If it is what you want, fine.
I'm age 68 and 170 lb. I carry up to 70 lb supplies on the 2 wheel cargo bike left. I've carried a 6000 BTU A/C home in the box. I carried a 44 lb 60 key synthesizer home last month down a mile long 10% grade. Tomorrow the load will be 45 lb groceries.
Considering who rides trikes in my experience, starting with Andy Devine's outhouse trike in the Roy Rogers shorts, up through the *** ***s that **** around on them in my town, I won't be riding a trike. Trike pedal carts may be more fashionable in retirement haven Florida. With the winds I have to fight in the midwest, the less frontal area I present to the air, the faster I get there. It was 36 mph steady with gusts up to 49 mph when I went out Sunday morning. I was happy to have 10 lb of tools in the bags to hold me down.
It is not as if I don't get vertigo spells, either. Turned my head too fast at work today, had to stand there a while. Most drivers besides my wife in cars make me ill from the motion. But I'm fine on a bicycle.

If it is what you want, fine.
I'm age 68 and 170 lb. I carry up to 70 lb supplies on the 2 wheel cargo bike left. I've carried a 6000 BTU A/C home in the box. I carried a 44 lb 60 key synthesizer home last month down a mile long 10% grade. Tomorrow the load will be 45 lb groceries.
Considering who rides trikes in my experience, starting with Andy Devine's outhouse trike in the Roy Rogers shorts, up through the *** ***s that **** around on them in my town, I won't be riding a trike. Trike pedal carts may be more fashionable in retirement haven Florida. With the winds I have to fight in the midwest, the less frontal area I present to the air, the faster I get there. It was 36 mph steady with gusts up to 49 mph when I went out Sunday morning. I was happy to have 10 lb of tools in the bags to hold me down.
It is not as if I don't get vertigo spells, either. Turned my head too fast at work today, had to stand there a while. Most drivers besides my wife in cars make me ill from the motion. But I'm fine on a bicycle.
Agreed. Compared to a 2-wheeler, this 3-wheel chopper would be a relative drag. Compared to an upright trike, I would think there would be somewhat less resistance. But at 20-25 mph how much would this really matter? And riding it almost exclusively in a sprawling 55+ central Florida community with 25 mph speed limits predominating...

No, at 73 a 2-wheeler is not in my future. If the flow of time were reversed, I would give a 2-wheeler serious consideration. I've come across too many bike riders my age who were more physically fit and experienced riders than I who have taken a tumble via some freak accident that would not have occurred on their recumbent trike.

So, to refocus my question, what are the pros and cons between the 3 styles of 3-wheelers I mentioned: Traditional Evelo, Fat trike upright, and Fat trike chopper.

Last edited:
I can't really look at these links. THey all bomb out to a coupon or email subscription in 10 seconds. I'm not wading thorugh that.
The workman is steel and designed for absolutely flat crackless floor in a factory. It would take a hit from a forklift counterweight better than any other. That is not where you are riding.
It looked as if the evolo did not have disks on the back wheels. The addmotor you posted a picture of did. I'm highly in favor of disk brakes in the rain, unless you can find something with a bendix coaster brake (obsolete).
The best bike is the one you can test ride at a local dealer, who offers to deal with any quality problems for you. I don't think you are going to find that in a trike anywhere. Maybe LA.
I worry a lot more about being hit by a car than I do falling off. I've fallen off 5 times in the last 5 years, hitting my chin 4 times, the last time I broke my chin. Whoops. The chin didn't hurt, really, just was annoying having my teeth wired shut. My arms & shoulder are sore for a day or two afterwards. I wear a helmet with a chin guard now. On the bike left I'm as tall as a SUV, I wear a green+yellow vest and the helmet has yellow letters. Nobody has driven right over me yet. One guy did throw a steel pipe at me, but he hit the back wheel, which was annoying but not fatal. Living without risk is how my father retired, and a stroke took away his brain after 2 years in a lounge chair. I risk messy death daily on a bike, my heart is perfect, my choresterol is "just right", my diabetes number is "great", and I'm 11 years into my retirement.

I can't really look at these links. THey all bomb out to a coupon or email subscription in 10 seconds. I'm not wading thorugh that.
The workman is steel and designed for absolutely flat crackless floor in a factory. It would take a hit from a forklift counterweight better than any other. That is not where you are riding.
It looked as if the evolo did not have disks on the back wheels. The addmotor you posted a picture of did. I'm highly in favor of disk brakes in the rain, unless you can find something with a bendix coaster brake (obsolete).
The best bike is the one you can test ride at a local dealer, who offers to deal with any quality problems for you. I don't think you are going to find that in a trike anywhere. Maybe LA.
I worry a lot more about being hit by a car than I do falling off. I've fallen off 5 times in the last 5 years, hitting my chin 4 times, the last time I broke my chin. Whoops. The chin didn't hurt, really, just was annoying having my teeth wired shut. My arms & shoulder are sore for a day or two afterwards. I wear a helmet with a chin guard now. On the bike left I'm as tall as a SUV, I wear a green+yellow vest and the helmet has yellow letters. Nobody has driven right over me yet. One guy did throw a steel pipe at me, but he hit the back wheel, which was annoying but not fatal. Living without risk is how my father retired, and a stroke took away his brain after 2 years in a lounge chair. I risk messy death daily on a bike, my heart is perfect, my choresterol is "just right", my diabetes number is "great", and I'm 11 years into my retirement.
My kind of guy. Fantastic!!!

Ok, here is an observation about that new yellow chopper trike design:

I've viewed a number of EBR video reviews of front wheel drive delta trikes. One of the more common negative observations is front wheel spin when taking off. And that was on relatively "weight forward" upright designs, except for the Worksman stretch chopper.

This yellow fat tire chopper has the rider several inches further back away from the front drive wheel. That means less weight on the drive wheel, allowing even less traction. That would be further aggravated with a 20-30 lb. load in the rear basket. So, the stability under speed may be improved with the lower chopper design, but take off traction is likely to be degraded compared to the more upright fat tire delta.

Your thoughts?