Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

bob armani

My 2 cents-E-bikes are not really an investment like a rare Lambo or expensive art or even commodities. They are purely for enjoyment and good health and what you get in return from them by far outweighs thinking of getting your money back from it. It pays for itself on so many other levels. Even if you get half of your money back after a couple years is well worth the investment. I just say 'hello fun' and take the high road and go out on a high note. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Gator

My 2 cents-E-bikes are not really an investment like a rare Lambo or expensive art or even commodities. They are purely for enjoyment and good health and what you get in return from them by far outweighs thinking or getting your money back from it. It pays for itself on so many other levels. Even if you get half of your money back after a couple years is well worth the investment. I just say 'hello fun' and take the high road and go out on a high note. Enjoy!
I am in full agreement with your statement, but I would like to add that with my bike commuting I can make a tank of gas last two weeks instead of one week so that is $20-25 a week in savings.

Countrygent

My 2 cents-E-bikes are not really an investment like a rare Lambo or expensive art or even commodities. They are purely for enjoyment and good health and what you get in return from them by far outweighs thinking or getting your money back from it. It pays for itself on so many other levels. Even if you get half of your money back after a couple years is well worth the investment. I just say 'hello fun' and take the high road and go out on a high note. Enjoy!
With you on that too Bob - any consumer purchase I make I don’t really think about resale, except maybe for cars. My assumption today with the pace of battery and electric motor innovation is that technology will render this year’s ebikes obsolete much sooner than this year’s conventional bikes. Maybe there will be retrofit improvements available, but the risk is frame housing sizing for batteries and motors change, in which case, in a few years the value will likely be limited. So be it, I’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Like you say, I hope to have a lot of enjoyment in the meantime. I’m a big believer that expenses on experiences, even ones with zero financial recovery - travel, special events, fine dining, adventure ... is an investment in a full and interesting life. With material things the usual resolution seems to be a friends and family transaction so I get back maybe a fraction of value or make a gift but I get to see somebody I like enjoy the same thing after my turn is over - and I try and take good care of anything I have so they will get something nice.

bob armani

With you on that too Bob - any consumer purchase I make I don’t really think about resale, except maybe for cars. My assumption today with the pace of battery and electric motor innovation is that technology will render this year’s ebikes obsolete much sooner than this year’s conventional bikes. Maybe there will be retrofit improvements available, but the risk is frame housing sizing for batteries and motors change, in which case, in a few years the value will likely be limited. So be it, I’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Like you say, I hope to have a lot of enjoyment in the meantime. I’m a big believer that expenses on experiences, even ones with zero financial recovery - travel, special events, fine dining, adventure ... is an investment in a full and interesting life. With material things the usual resolution seems to be a friends and family transaction so I get back maybe a fraction of value or make a gift but I get to see somebody I like enjoy the same thing after my turn is over - and I try and take good care of anything I have so they will get something nice.
Country-Very well said. Invest in yourself while being prudent and it will always pay you back 10 fold, better than any money making investment, etc. Once you get in your comfort zone financially, spend more time dong things for yourself and the people you love, instead of working 60+ hours a week and only getting a pay check is my philosophy. I myself, make E-biking a large part of my lifestyle, because it encourages me to get out on a bike more frequently. It fits well into keeping fit and moving forward. Enjoy!

markybolton

I really like that thought and approach! I thimk it is beneficial in life general. Regardless if you own a ebike or not!

slowguy

Looks a lot like my PIM. Lockable suspension forks and a way lower price tag. I got a $995 special, back up to $1495 I think for similar range.

bob armani

Hey Guys- I would like to sincerely thank everyone for all of the 'Likes' I have received and for changing my status to 'Well Known Member'!:p

P4t4p0uf

Hi everybody!

Well I thought I'd introduce myself here as a new Urban Plus owner. What's funny is I was just about to take the plunge on the Voltbike Yukon and then I decided to take a look on Amego's website and saw the deal on the Haibike.

One review later ( thanks Court) and a quick glance on this forum and the order was in!

After a few hundreds km I can just say I love that bike and I use it more and more to move around in Montreal, even took it a few times to go to work.

So far no major issues with the bike or the cobi system. Everything has been great. Even replaced the stem with a Revelo ThinStem (top notch) and some Wellgo folding pedals (not the best) to make it easy for storage.

All in all it needed a few adjustments here and there in the past 2 months.

Went through 2 firmware updates without a itch (even last one) using an iPhone 8.

Anyway will report here whenever I find something interesting!

Attachments

I haven't updated in quite a while. My bike has been performing well. I've put about 1700kms on it. In fact, we bought a second one for my wife. What prompted me to post was my first flat rear tire a few days ago. With the mid-drive and the quick release wheels, it was SO EASY to repair.

My previous ebike (rear hub motor) had electrical connections and nuts and bolts and more bolts securing the rear wheel. Things had to be aligned 'just so' for removal and reinstallation. Just to get the wheel off took several different tools and about 10 minutes.

With the Urban Plus it was just unscrew, pop off, fix, pop on, screw on, go - 1/10 the time.

I'm used to the cobi system now, but I only use it for basic cycling info - not the navigation. Google maps is far superior. The front light is adequate for my work commute when dark, and the rear brake light is great. The brake light makes it so much easier to gauge the speed and distance between the bikes when cycling with my wife single file.

I get about 80 km between charges and then I usually have about 20% battery left. Probably 70km of that 80 km is on the lowest assist setting. Of course the range would be less on the higher settings. Assist level 1 and 2 still require the rider to do most of the work. There is a big assistance jump for levels 3 and 4 of assist.

My only complaint is the non-standard short mircousb to lightning cable that connects my iphone to the cobi system. I've lost mine and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. The shortest cable I can find online is 12 inches so I will have to order that one and make do.

Overall, the Urban plus has been a great bike.

DjGooch

Has anybody got a flat tire on his bike yet? I just got my first one and was wondering if the tires are tubeless or have a tube in the? I would like to have a tube ready before I start taking it apart if I need it

nublar

Has anybody got a flat tire on his bike yet? I just got my first one and was wondering if the tires are tubeless or have a tube in the? I would like to have a tube ready before I start taking it apart if I need it
The stock wheels/tyres are tubed.