Help Please converting a 'pedal assist only' to 'thumb throttle' for my Fortis 20"

Fr_303

Hi Guys
Long time viewer first time poster!
I need some assistance and guidance on converting a 'pedal assist only' to 'thumb throttle' for my Fortis 20" 36V 10Ah Foldable Electric Bike
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/fortis-...electric-bike/

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I have opened my controller and it had a spare cable
Red - +5VP
Green- AX1
Black – GND
But didn’t think it could be that easy to just connect straight into there

Would love to get a Thumb throttle to work on this bike. If anyone can help me out with some advice of where I need to connect the throttle cable to and anything else I need to look out for please.

Attachments

Tobitonz981

I'd like to know how to do that too. I think the spare wire is the speed limiter, or it could be the display cable, not sure. I found a thumb throttle with red green and black wires though. So it should just be a matter of splicing them on. If you do succeed in adding a throttle. Let me know how so I can do the same.

maartenmrmtr

you can use the three wires that go to your pedal assist sensor and connect them to a throttle. I you still want to be able to use the pedal assist function alongside the throttle make sure to connect them in parallel. Some controllers have a seperate connector for throttle and pedal assist but if you don't just connect throttle to PAS wires.

Thomas Jaszewski

you can use the three wires that go to your pedal assist sensor and connect them to a throttle. I you still want to be able to use the pedal assist function alongside the throttle make sure to connect them in parallel. Some controllers have a seperate connector for throttle and pedal assist but if you don't just connect throttle to PAS wires.
Not the case for many controllers.

harryS

FR33, You might be able to do this. The label on the controller refers to the throttle voltage, where it says "Speed Set: 1- 4.2V". So it will have a throttle input, but it may or may not be connected to the outside?

When you said "spare cable", did you mean there was an un-used three pin connector hanging off the controller and you traced it back to the circuit?

Or are you just looking at un-used solder pads and guessing? .

maartemment, you're mistaken here. The throttle signal is a DC voltage between 1.0 to 4.2V, The PAS signal is a digial pulse train.