Known Issues & Problems with Aventon Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

Court

Administrator
Staff member
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Aventon as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

rcdanner

I have Aventon Pace 500 Sport in small frame size. I like the bike.
I have two complaints. The lowest Pedal Assist level PAS 1 is too high at almost 12mph. Once you pedal the required 1 revolution before assist is activated, the motor instantly accelerates to 12mph. It seems dangerous to be turning slowly and just pedal once and have that high acceleration jolting you forward. The second complaint is no 0 start throttle. You must pedal 1 revolution before the throttle is activated. This is tough starting at a stop light and wanting to get across the street quickly using the throttle but only after that pedal revolution. All my other ebikes I have ridden had the throttle activated from 0 start. I have gotten used to these problems. But I wish Aventon would make this great ebike even better by fixing the two complaints.

The lowest Pedal Assist level PAS 1 is too high at almost 12mph. Once you pedal the required 1 revolution before assist is activated, the motor instantly accelerates to 12mph.
There seem to be various types of Cadence sensing controllers
- Constant voltage - This drives a constant voltage to the the motor, based on the assist level, with the current limited by the controller. At low speed you hit the controller current limit regardless of the assist level. Thus, you get a hard shove even at low levels. The Aventon and Magnum Metro, among other bikes, has this type.
- Constant power - The controller tries to feed the motor a constant power based on the assistance level. Thus,
at low assist levels you get a gentle push. Rad Power Bikes has this type on the Rad City. I much prefer it to constant voltage. You will still get higher torque at low speeds than at higher seeds but the drop-off isn't too steep.
- Constant torque - The torque stays constant based on the assist level until you are going fast enough to hit max power. I don't know of any bikes that have this, but there may be some.

If you are technically inclined, you can see the torque curves for constant voltage (the default) or constant torque (if you select a custom controller with constant torque) at https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html. Changing the throttle setting is the equivalent of setting the PAS (pedal assist) level.

Finally, torque sensing bikes work differently, sensing your pedal torque and multiplying that power, giving a fairly natural feeling.

TumaloTed

Is it possible to swap the Pace 500 constant voltage controller with a constant power controller?? Hope Aventon will consider this down the road, along with puncture resistance tires and a suspension front fork.

TumaloTed

I'm 5'11" and interested in both the 350 and 500 in a step thru, which only comes in mid-frame size. Any other taller folks that have been happy with their mid size step thru??

Movie Star

I'm 5'11" and interested in both the 350 and 500 in a step thru, which only comes in mid-frame size. Any other taller folks that have been happy with their mid size step thru??
My wife is 5'11" and is very comfortable on the 500 step thru in medium.

Larrylove

I just received the step through 500 and I'm 6'1". Got this size so that me and my wife can share. I'll let you know how the sizing works. I'm hoping since its a comfort style ride it won't be a problem.

Bigal1463

I have Aventon Pace 500 Sport in small frame size. I like the bike.
I have two complaints. The lowest Pedal Assist level PAS 1 is too high at almost 12mph. Once you pedal the required 1 revolution before assist is activated, the motor instantly accelerates to 12mph. It seems dangerous to be turning slowly and just pedal once and have that high acceleration jolting you forward. The second complaint is no 0 start throttle. You must pedal 1 revolution before the throttle is activated. This is tough starting at a stop light and wanting to get across the street quickly using the throttle but only after that pedal revolution. All my other ebikes I have ridden had the throttle activated from 0 start. I have gotten used to these problems. But I wish Aventon would make this great ebike even better by fixing the two complaints.

Bigal1463

I too have the Pace 500, and yes it does jump off the line as soon as you start to pedal. Actually, you don't even have to pedal a full revolution, probably one quarter. I've overcame this problem by going to zero after turning on the power button. Make sure when you approach a potential stop that you down gear to 1st, 2nd or third gear, so when you do start up it is easier to pedal. I agree that having to start to pedal (about one quarter turn) the throttle will activate. A bit of an inconvenience, but overall for the price, I like it very much.