Larger Chainring

Discussion in 'Parts and Accessories' started by rmasa, Feb 14, 2017.

1. rmasa

rmasa Member

Has anyone else experimented with a larger chainring?

Since I use my bike for commuting, I am always looking for ways to get from point A to B faster.
    Being able to keep up with traffic affords me the ability to use the better/safer part of the road.

I recently changed my chainring from 42T to a 44T, and I noticed my average speed per commute increased by 2kph. I understand that there will be a point of diminishing speed sooner or later. I also have a 45T, and a 46T.
    Has anyone here gone to a larger chainring with good results?

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. rmasa

rmasa Member

Going to give the 46T narrow wide a try.

IMG_0961.JPG

4. Rich Reano

Rich Reano New Member

I have a 52t, 4 bolt chainring installed on my ebike. I can go 30 mph at a reasonable cadence.

5. rmasa

rmasa Member

I would love to try a 50 or 52T chainring, where did you find it? I have not seen any bigger chainrings available for 104 BCD.
    Is it difficult to get going after a complete stop?

6. Rich Reano

Rich Reano New Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Thomas Jaszewski

Thomas Jaszewski Active Member

Remember some mid drives will get overheated running a large chainwheel, especially the 52T. More speed really needs more power. Unless the motor has. 52 in its design spec. I seen, read about, and cooked a controller with a 52. Typically you need to keep the RPMs up in my experience. Add a watt meter or an inexpensive temp gauge and watch the temps and draw of power grow.

8. Thomas Jaszewski

This is exactly how you will overheat some mid drives. It's a bike with gears, not a scooter. Downshift like you (should?)would with any geared bike.

9. Thomas Jaszewski

California eBikes sells adapters. They are available from a number of sources with a range of quality.

Forums Made Possible with Support From