How much are you willing to pay for an electric bike that weights under 35 lbs (15.8 kg) ?

• $1000 - $15000

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • $1500 - $2000

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • $2000 - $3000

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Above $3000

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
Deacon I'm with you, I'd love to see a 32 km/hr. top end for NA, especially since they have the option for a 2nd battery.

I'm with you on the N+1 bikes as well. I have bought 2 bikes in the last 8 months so it will be a hard sell for me to get another bike. I was able to buy the latest (Rocky Mountain Altitude Alloy 50) because my wife didn't want our son riding on his own. My last MTB was stolen when I lent it to my brother, so I HAD to buy another bike if she wanted me to go with him. Absent that, I likely would not have been allowed to buy another bike.

btw - Congrats on the Defy, that's a nice bike!

rannyv

That Orbea is very interesting and the bike I've been wanting to get. I traded emails with them and it led me to believe the bike wouldn't be available in North America until 2019.

Deacon, do you know where the Orbea Gain is available in North America.
The Orbea website is certainly . . . special. Heavy on marketing cuteness, but light on facts. I couldn't stand watching the videos. The 20" wheeled bike with the large, stout basket looked nice. The website and video? A little heavy on 'urban hipster'.

Timpo

I believe weight is a big issue when it comes to electric bikes. There are a few under 40 lbs eBikes in the industry, however they are very expensive!

At Propella we are excited to release our new eBike model that weighs under 35 lbs (15.8 kg) using Panasonic High-Density Li-ion cells, with alloy frame and components.

Please visit our blog for updates: http://www.propellabikes.com/blog

And sign up to stay tuned on the release date: http://www.propellabikes.com

Thanks,
Ben
Sorry if I sound a bit negative here but I just wanted to share my personal perspective.
That 18mph top speed? It's a deal breaker for me. The power and range are also disappointing.

I don't know about everyone else but I don't feel the weight when I ride my ebike, it just feels like normal bicycle, or even lighter because of assist.

The weight becomes an issue only when I have to lift it up and carry around the bike for whatever reason, but that occasion is quite rate.
It does cause mild inconvenience when I'm trying to do the maintenance, and also there's no proper ebike maintenance stand so that could also be an issue.

Anyways, for me personally (yes, my personal opinion under my particular circumstances), I would rather take my 50 lb ebike than 30 lb light weight ebike with reduced performance.

It's not like we're talking about the difference between Honda Goldwing (heavy bike) and Suzuki TU250x (light bike)... ebikes typically feel like normal bicycle with assist, I have never felt like the weight is dangerous or made me feel tip over like big motorcycles do.

Speed: as Einstein said, there is more to life than increasing its speed. The modern bicycle is the most efficient form of transportation for energy input. But if you crave speed you are negating the simplicity of that equation. I rode my old road bike for 26 miles today while my e-bike is getting fixed. I had no problem doing this just by accepting a lower speed than other people on the same ride. The reason I can't use this bike all the time is, it cannot easily carry cargo. Not only does it take more mass (racks and such) to carry the cargo, the bicycle becomes less stable. The other reason is that hills are more daunting at my age. I welcome carbon fiber and such. But the bottom line is the more speed you crave from your ebike, the further along the continuum away from bicycles and closer to a motorcycle. And motorcycles have nothing more going for them than increased speed, which gives some ability to escape getting smashed from behind. But it opens many possibilities for grave injuries in the event of mishap. That lamppost you somehow ended up colliding with is going to become all the more unpleasant at 25 mph.

I think you have to look at the total equation, in terms of price, reliability, and utility. If there is one long straightaway on your daily commute that is on a bike path, generally free from ice, and other riders doing stupid things, and you have the self-control to only use top speed in this situation, it might make sense to get an e-bike with a high top speed potential. Carbon fiber, you have to look at the theft potential. Any kind of e-bike could be the right choice if you realistically weigh all the factors and get the right answer. The one I have is lightweight, can carry cargo, and I have been able to ride it on a 350 mile trip alone. It is very stable due to wide 26 in. wheels which only work because I am not a too tall rider. Its downside is that I actually had to send the motor back to China for repair. But there is currently no other package that will do what this bike can do, that satisfies all the terms of my personal equation.

Last edited:
I have a Trek 700+. It weighs close to 50 pounds and uses a Bosh mid drive motor. After 4,000 miles I have the sense that it will last a long time. Although I'm happy with this bike a lighter weight would be great! It is hard to put the Trek 700+ on a bike rack or lift it on to a truck bed. The bike is built with a focus on maximum strength. I also have a non-electric Madone that weighs 17 pounds. Given the weight of the battery and motor it is clear that Trek put a lot of weight into specking an indestructible frame and set of wheels. I think they could easily knock 10 pounds off the bike and still have a very strong safety factor, especially when it is used on city streets and country roads.