Need help choosing best e-bike

Discussion in 'Help Choosing an Ebike' started by El_Snago, Oct 5, 2017.

1. El_Snago

El_Snago New Member

So I live in the SF Bay Area, and I want to get an e-bike for when I switch from full time employee/part time student to full time student to save on car costs (not needing a parking permit alone will pay for a good chunk of the bike). College is ~7 miles away, and there's a steep climb right at the end (about 450ft in under a mile). I've been looking at all kinds of bikes, but man it's hard to sort through them all and make a decision. My wish list includes:

- $2-3k, though I might go higher for the right bike
    - Class 3
    - Removable display (I'll be parking at a school for extended periods, all the detachable stuff will come with me)
    - Front suspension
    - Pannier mounting points
    - More upright sitting style, never liked forward leaning bikes
    - Step-over style

Hopefully that's enough information to spark some ideas. I'm also curious how important you folks think things like shift sensing and brake inhibitors are for what will be a commuter bike that includes a hill.

As a starter, I was just looking at this one:
    https://electricbikereview.com/izip/2016-e3-protour/
    Looks like a good bike, but I'd be worried about the non-removable display, and the above questions about shift sensing and brake inhibitors apply too.

Thanks so much!

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. Ravi Kempaiah

Ravi Kempaiah Well-Known Member

Some of the bikes I would recommend are:
    Shift sensing is nice to have but if you are little careful in shifting, this should not be a problem.
    You may want to reach out to http://newwheel.net/.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. El_Snago

El_Snago New Member

Wow, you nailed it with that Trek XM700+. And there's even a Trek retailer close to my house. Thank you!