Need recommendations on folding e bikes that require very little maintenance

Discussion in 'Help Choosing an Ebike' started by TheChosenOne, Oct 8, 2016.

1. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne New Member

Gonna buy my first bike/electric bike soon with a budget of $2,000 and I would go over if it's worth it. I don't want to deal with the maintenance stuff. I just need it to commute to work and ride on my free time and I'd ride anywhere from 10-40 miles per day. I looked at the Pedego Latch that has a belt drive. Seems great but a little over my budget. What other folding electric bikes require very little maintenance? And what is everyone's opinion on the 2017 E Joe Epik SE? If I can't find a mostly maintenance free bike then the Epik SE would be my next choice.

https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/shop/latch/

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. Chris Nolte

Chris Nolte Well-Known Member

It's above $2,000 but I highly recommend you take a look at the Tern Vektron, it will be the most reliable folding ebike on the market this year. It's geometry and components make it a solid ride. We have experience with other folders, but we have stopped offering most of them since they don't meet our standards.

It's challenging enough to make a good folding bike, but to make a good folding ebike is a even bigger feat. I think Tern is the first to nail it.

Update: new name for the Elektron is Vektron

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. MLB

MLB Well-Known Member

I just saw those over the weekend and I'm entranced! I've never needed or cared about a folding bike, but that little thing is so darn cool, I"m thinking about Ebike traveling, taking it with me. Very sweet. What's the price.

Chris Nolte likes this.
  5. Chris Nolte

Chris Nolte Well-Known Member

I believe the price is going to be $3500 for these.

6. George S.

George S. Well-Known Member

During the interview Court had with the Tern Rep, they briefly mentioned a Bafang drive Tern for around $2000. What (Tern) said was they wanted to have a bike with some of the features but at a more mainstream price. I think the Elektron looks great, but it's too much. If the BBS version was done right, it's a better price for what could often be a 'second' bike. Well, fourth for me.

I had a 20 inch folder and I thought the small wheels were the problem. The fat tire folders seem to work for people. Maybe a wider but not fat tire would help. I don't know.

7. Gene Keyes

Gene Keyes New Member