New 2018 Bromptom Electric Bike - Brompton's First eBike

We are booked in for firmware updates the week after next.

I only noticed the click on the evening before our Brompton tour. I had cleaned both bikes and they were upside down. Spun the front wheel on both - one clicked and the other didn’t. Showed it to the Brompton head guys after the tour. No idea as to the cause but they took it out the back and returned it 15 minutes later with a new motor.

I don’t imagine firmware updates will be a regular occurrence. Hopefully this one will be a keeper.

I keep checking to see if there is a Brompton app on the AppStore. When I quizzed the team about the app it seems that it will be read-only. Distance travelled, time to next service, battery level - that type of thing. I asked if it would allow tweaking of responsiveness, and was told not.

We are booked in for firmware updates the week after next.

I only noticed the click on the evening before our Brompton tour. I had cleaned both bikes and they were upside down. Spun the front wheel on both - one clicked and the other didn’t. Showed it to the Brompton head guys after the tour. No idea as to the cause but they took it out the back and returned it 15 minutes later with a new motor.

I don’t imagine firmware updates will be a regular occurrence. Hopefully this one will be a keeper.

I keep checking to see if there is a Brompton app on the AppStore. When I quizzed the team about the app it seems that it will be read-only. Distance travelled, time to next service, battery level - that type of thing. I asked if it would allow tweaking of responsiveness, and was told not.
I would expect the next firmware update to remove again some of the power kicking in earlier of the current and still get it smooth. As the motor now kicks in with less torque on the pedal one will unevitably use more battery when in the same mode. But with this update the ride is perfectly smooth.

Do other ebikes have software that allows tweaking? I once rented an electical mountain bile with a Bosch motor which had a nice display, but all one could do was to switch between the power levels. They all try to keep things simple.

Do other ebikes have software that allows tweaking?
I have no experience of any that do but have read, for example, that the GoCycle app allows one to:

“Fine-tune your motor assistance. Customise the motor power and torque for a workout or a no-sweat commute”

My interest in tweaking was only to overcome performance and responsiveness issues. The assistance is presently too subtle, assistance with hill climbing is insufficient and we use the maximum assistance level at all times (on our other, BH ebikes we invariably use the the minimum, eco assistance mode). The changes built into 1.0.2 will obviate the desire to tweak, I hope.

I have no experience of any that do but have read, for example, that the GoCycle app allows one to:

“Fine-tune your motor assistance. Customise the motor power and torque for a workout or a no-sweat commute”

My interest in tweaking was only to overcome performance and responsiveness issues. The assistance is presently too subtle, assistance with hill climbing is insufficient and we use the maximum assistance level at all times (on our other, BH ebikes we invariably use the the minimum, eco assistance mode). The changes built into 1.0.2 will obviate the desire to tweak, I hope.
I get a lot more power after the update. I used to use level 3 up hills, today kept it in 2 all the time. It also used a little more battery.

The GoCycle is, I think, a lot more for technical enthusiasts. Brompton has London professionals in mind who want to take it on the tube.

I would expect the next firmware update to remove again some of the power kicking in earlier of the current and still get it smooth. As the motor now kicks in with less torque on the pedal one will unevitably use more battery when in the same mode. But with this update the ride is perfectly smooth.

Do other ebikes have software that allows tweaking? I once rented an electical mountain bile with a Bosch motor which had a nice display, but all one could do was to switch between the power levels. They all try to keep things simple.
The Stromer OMNI app gives you a fairly significant level of tweaking capability.

I might be spreading misinformation about the (still to arrive) app functionality. Brompton’s website says it will allow you to “Customise your ride settings and track your mileage and service history using the Brompton Electric app.” Time will tell what customise means.

I might be spreading misinformation about the (still to arrive) app functionality. Brompton’s website says it will allow you to “Customise your ride settings and track your mileage and service history using the Brompton Electric app.” Time will tell what customise means.
App is not available yet. I check once in a while. I don't need it, if it wa savailable I would play with it.

But after the firmware update it rides near perfect. I don't think any kit can compete, as it is all nicely integrated. When they service it their software checks all the components, the controller (which sits in the mount), the battery, the motor, the cadence and torque sensor.

After the update I get perfect torque sensing, good response, really nothing to complain. For me a kit would have to be much cheaper to be considered. You want a torque sensor, the reinforced fork (rather than opening it up to fit a wider hub). The Brompton battery mount is really smart so it can't disconnent when passing over bumps. The controller is nicely hidden in the battery mount. And customer support is really responsive, they respond same or next day.

Whether it is long-term reliable I can't tell yet, I have done around 500km during which it was (after an initial replacement).

But after the firmware update it rides near perfect
Thanks, that’s good to hear. We’re a week away from our updates and are looking forward to great British product being even better!

I’m with you - I used to play with kits as a kid and remember putting together early computers from components. It was great fun and we learnt loads from our successes and setbacks. I was at band rehearsals last night at our guitarist’s house. He’s a born tinkerer and his garage and drive are full of bits of cars that make him happy. I’ve known him for years but never seen any of them running! For him, the challenge is fiddling about.

I’ve been lucky enough to visit Brompton’s factory and seen the endurance rigs testing complete Brompton Electrics to destruction. That fact that there is one company behind the whole product gives me the necessary confidence cycling on the increasingly busy roads with my wife. But I’m all for the tinkerers; if it makes you happy and doesn’t hurt anyone else, go for it.