Orbea Gain E-Road Bike

Jaxx

Hi All. I've had my M20i for a couple months now and am really enjoying it. I think this bike is more for an older rider like me who have lost some pedal power over the years. It really makes riding fun again and I feel almost as fast as I was 20-30 years ago. Back then may I would average 20-22 mph for a 30-40 mile ride, now I’m lucky to be 16-17 mph on a regular bike and that’s at the end of the season.

With my Gain I can now average 20 mph while keeping my heart rate in line to where it should be at my age. Head wind, no problem, hills, no problem.

I’m fine with the 20 mph limit and feel that if it was any higher the battery life would not be as good.

In the highest setting I can go 18 miles before it goes to 50% battery, in medium setting it will go to 20 to 22 miles and at the lowest setting it will go 28 – 30 miles before 50%. Keep in mind it depends a lot on headwinds and hills of the route I may be on.

Only a couple small issues I have are some creaking in the stem/handle bar area.

Misaligned rear disc causing it to rub and I’m having a hard time adjusting it. It appears that the bottom mounting surface that the caliper bolts rest on have a slight curve causing the bolt head to slip out of alignment.

The other issue for me is the rear gearing. I like to spin more than a slow grind and the shift point at the motor turn off point the gear spacing seems to be too large for me. If I shift I’m doing the slow grind to stay above 20, if I shift I’m spinning a bit too fast to stay above 20. I suppose I can try a different cassette in back to solve this.

Anyway I would recommend this bike to anyone who’ve lost a few strokes and want to feel fast again.

BTW we purchased a TREK CrossRip + so she can finally ride with me and that has an assist speed up to 27 mph I believe. She really thinks it’s funny when she can blow by me on the hills but she has to put it in the turbo mode in order to because that is one heavy bike at 46 lbs.
You could have described me Brew. I too have a M20i, and purchased it for the very same reasons. Only here in the UK it's limited to 16mph accordingly I average 120 miles per charge.

Guitar dave

I know the US version has assist to 20 mph theoretically, but are people finding this to be actual? Just curious because I have had a specialized turbo which was supposed to assist to 28 but actually cut out about 26.5. Does the Gain actually assist to 20 mph?

Bobak

Sound plan. Let's know your views?
Got the D30 bike this week and happy to report it met and maybe exceeded my expectations so far. My commute is now 2-3 minutes shorter (from 51 to 48)! I am still playing around with the assist level as It seems I need level 1 for most of my commute so not using much of the battery specially since I ride mostly beyond the 20 mph (in US).

I have a question if anyone put fenders on it and a rack. Any suggestions for what brand or size (I have no idea i have never bought a rack or fenders)? I want to get panniers now that I can.

Solom01

On my F30 the power assist cuts out at between 20.5-21 mph. The speed shows the same on the ebikemotion app and Garmin, so I'm thinking it's pretty accurate.

Guitar dave

On the M30 carbon frame, is there much flex or is it pretty stiff? I tend to get up out of the saddle on steep hills and a flexible frame drives me nuts. My regular road bike is a Specialized Roubaix carbon. Would this be stiff like that?
Of course I would love to try one before buying but I am in Michigan and no Orbea dealers nearby. I did speak with a dealer who used to handle them and he mentioned frame flex was an issue. Is it?

MikeDee

On the M30 carbon frame, is there much flex or is it pretty stiff? I tend to get up out of the saddle on steep hills and a flexible frame drives me nuts. My regular road bike is a Specialized Roubaix carbon. Would this be stiff like that?
Of course I would love to try one before buying but I am in Michigan and no Orbea dealers nearby. I did speak with a dealer who used to handle them and he mentioned frame flex was an issue. Is it?
I'm not noticing any flex on mine. There is some brake rub when standing out of the saddle I notice from time to time.

Jaxx

Noooooo flex at all, stiff but very comfortable.

lapy

I'm finding my M20i (small) frame to be much stiffer than my 2016 Trek Domane (52). Fast downhills with rough roads are a much different experience now. Your Roubaix should be similar to the Domane... I bought the LTD carbon wheelset and find the front disc rubs when standing or cornering (still need to work this out).

Jaxx

I'm finding my M20i (small) frame to be much stiffer than my 2016 Trek Domane (52). Fast downhills with rough roads are a much different experience now. Your Roubaix should be similar to the Domane... I bought the LTD carbon wheelset and find the front disc rubs when standing or cornering (still need to work this out).
Have you checked the headset. A number of Gains have worked loose early on.

Zeek48

I think I have mentioned in the past I have a Bianchi Aria e-road as well as my my Gain M20i. Everything pretty much the same except geometry. I just finished the Alberta Ride To Conquer Cancer (a charity ride) this weekend. I wanted share my range with you. 110 kms and 850M of elevation 1st day & 103 kms and 1044m 2nd day. I'm 71 yrs old and my Aria e-road saved me. I had to be careful in my use of power trying save it for climbing by turning off on flats and downhills. I finished day 1 with over 25% power left and day 2 with just under 25%. What a great equalizer this bike is.