Over50's Tern GSD Chronicles

Over50

The GSD is home with its new Abus cafe lock. There isn't a cafe lock that fits the rear tire from what I've been told. For some reason the Tern mounts are not uniform. So I only have a 5750 Shield Plus locking the front wheel. The key-alike concept worked well. The two GSD batteries, the Abus cafe lock, my new Abus Bordo alarm lock and the Bordo that came with my Riese and Muller as well as the Riese and Muller batteries are all now keyed-alike. I'm pleased with the outcome. In the pics are the Abus Shield 5750. But when guard cat is on duty, I don't need the cafe lock. Well, maybe I do since the first chipmunk to come along with distract her from her duties:

Abus5750Shield_1.jpg GSD_GuardCat1.jpg Abus5750Shield_2.jpg

Over50

My wife and I are moving soon (new house) so I've been organizing, packing, donating to charity etc. Attached is a picture looking down on the GSD's panniers loaded with books and some educational dvds. Quite a heavy load. I've taken two loads like this and dropped the books at the local library's donation box. The heavy loads are noticeable when trying to roll the bike off of the kickstand but not very noticeable when riding (as long as the load is balanced). Also made a run with bags of clothes and shoes for the Goodwill donation box but that load was a bit lighter than the book loads. Our new house is only 1/2 mile from the current house so I plan to use the GSD a lot during the move.
GSD_Bookhaul.jpg

Over50

My front rack finally arrived and I picked it up today at the LBS and mounted the Bordo alarm lock. Here are some pics after a grocery run. At the Container Store I managed to find a tote that has collapsible sides and will lay flat inside the basket or I can throw it in a pannier. It is a perfect fit for the rack: GSD_FrontRack1.jpg GSD_FrontRack2.jpg

Over50

Today we had a freakish 50F day so I got out early on the Tern GSD to run some errands. What could be safer than a Sunday morning ride in a residential neighborhood? Right next to a middle school I came the closest I've ever come to becoming roadkill. I stopped completely at a 4-way stop next to the school. Black Jeep SUV coming as I was already stopped. I wrongly assumed female driver would stop and I proceeded to pedal through. Not only did she not stop but she was accelerating as she neared the stop sign. I heard the roaring of the engine as she almost mowed me down. Did you see that video out on CNN and other sites of the cyclist in the Netherlands that was missed by the train by inches? I was missed by the accelerating SUV by inches. Stop signs mean nothing around here ...

Over50

Had my year-end maintenance/software update at the LBS this week. My Bosch stats:
555 miles (took delivery mid-year)
Distance in mode: Turbo 24, Sport 3, Tour 80, Eco 285, no assist 163
Energy consumed by motor in mode: Turbo 12%, Sport 2%, Tour 35%, Eco 51%

Did a 14 mile trip today stopping at 3 stores for various items. Returned with about 4 bags of groceries and stuff.

Over50

Put about 60 miles on the bike in a couple of days and will probably put another 40 tomorrow. Here are the Terns returning from flower shopping at the farmer's market. A lot of people stopped me to ask about the bike once it was loaded down. I was waiting for the quip "you taking your Morning Glory out for a bike ride"?. But it never came.

plantshopping2.jpg plantshopping3.jpg plantshopping4.jpg

Interesting. I have a single battery GSD. Just did a 35 mile bicycle tour around State Island, New York. My battery almost completely died around 25 mile mark. I didn't expect many hills so I was completely unprepared. I was in Turbo mode for hills and used Tour mode on flat levels just to keep pace with the other riders. Probably didn't help that I had my 60 lb son in the back seat. The last 10 miles on zero electric was sooooo painful.

BTW, how much weight do you think you can put in your front rack before it becomes too heavy to steer?

Over50

...BTW, how much weight do you think you can put in your front rack before it becomes too heavy to steer?
Tern's specs are loads up to 44 pounds for the front rack but I haven't tested those claims. Saturday, I loaded a 20 lb bag of potting soil and pushed the bike around the flower market. But I moved it to a pannier after purchasing the bag so I didn't ride home with the weight in the front. I carried a 14 lb jug of cat litter and didn't notice any steering degradation - that was only a couple of miles however. After that its just been small loads of groceries. I usually put the lighter stuff up front. Today I commuted home 17 miles with about 6 lbs in the front (shoes, gardening gloves, a change of clothes...).