Portugal Rad Rhino 750W registration?

IrishMud

I am reaching out to the forum to see if someone can help with some advice about riding Rad bikes in Portugal? My wife and I live in Colorado, and both love our Rad City and Step-Thru. We are moving to Portugal soon, and obviously want to continue our passion, probably with 2 Rad Rhinos (or bring our own bikes with us - better still - both options put together :)) I have searched endlessly about Portugal, L1e-A registration, ebikes over 250W information, do we need to register the bikes or do we need insurance? I have also been in contact with Rad Europe, but Portugal seems to be a bit of a "black hole" of information on the legislation. Has anyone on the forum ever ridden their Rad or other 750W bike in Portugal; did you register - and if so -how/where? Any help and advice would be very much appreciated........

JayVee

If you bring your bikes from the US I am delighted to welcome you to the wonderful world of L1e-b. Get out your motorcycle driver's licence, full blown motorcycle ECE R22 helmet, and money for insurance. And, yes, your bike is L1e-b as it's currently configured.

I'm only half kidding... More below.

From RAD's website:

L1e-A in many countries means that the bike needs to be registered and insured (please check your local laws and regulations for your specific situation). This gives you the peace of mind that your bike is registered and therefore can be traced in the unlikely case your bike is lost or stolen. European authorities have carefully studied the requirements necessary for you to safely and securely ride your ebike. Only those bikes that fully comply with the L1e-A regulation are offered a European type approval. The RadRhino has been given this approval so you can be confident that your ebike from Rad Power Bikes is of the highest quality.

If you want to try and register your US bikes the official way, you want to present them as L1e-a and not L1e-b.

So...

- Try to get an EU L1e-a COC from RAD. Not sure it's available, but worth a try and would absolutely help...
- If you manage to get a COC, prior to registration, go into the menu options and set the bike to 25km/h, just in case the bike needs to be "inspected" by some technical authority in a cursory fashion. Providing you can get the RAD paperwork, and keep the assist under 25km/h, this effectively transforms it into an L1e-a bike instead of an L1e-b... But I'm only semi-optimistic about this.

I would recommend asking Rad. They have a web page to help you with this:

https://radpowerbikes.eu/pages/registration

L1e-a and L1e-b are subject to type approval under Portuguese law. You need to register both classes to ride on public roads:

http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/imtt/Portugues/Veiculos/Aprovacoes/HomologacoesVeiculos/Paginas/HomologacaoVeiculos.aspx

IrishMud

Thanks JayVee. I kind of figured that would be the case. If you look at the difference between the Rover and the Rhino, there is not that much, and what there is, is probably to make it compliant to the L1e-A specification (hence the extra cost - plus the China/Europe tariff difference of course). I love my Rad City, but unfortunately, it is not available in Europe yet. Maybe the "pain" is not worth the "reward" - so maybe a "For Sale" sign is the best/only option :)

JayVee

Thanks JayVee. I kind of figured that would be the case. If you look at the difference between the Rover and the Rhino, there is not that much, and what there is, is probably to make it compliant to the L1e-A specification (hence the extra cost - plus the China/Europe tariff difference of course). I love my Rad City, but unfortunately, it is not available in Europe yet. Maybe the "pain" is not worth the "reward" - so maybe a "For Sale" sign is the best/only option :)
Well, try asking Rad. It's worth a shot, and it's free. But I have a nagging feeling that it's going to be "one of those things".

The COC in these European countries is really important. If you have no COC, the Portuguese may deem that the bike isn't roadworthy at all... Because both L1e-a and L1e-b require it. Even if your bike is almost identical to an existing L1e-a vehicle, they probably won't register it unless you can prove that each and every component on the bike conforms to L1e-a.

Not registering the bike is an option, but if you get into an accident it will open a whole can of legal worms. A lot of these EU countries will throw the law book at you if you're riding with a vehicle that's illegal. That's particularly true if there's bodily harm to someone else. A couple of months ago a kid popped out of a side alley and ran straight across the street in front of me without looking. It was a near call... You never know what can happen. If you can't obtain a valid certificate of conformity, the "for sale" option might be a safer choice.

IrishMud

Hi JayVee, long time ago I learnt that sometimes life is a bit easier swimming with the flow, rather than 100% continually against it ...... New Country, new language, new bureaucracy, new home, new challenges; maybe getting a new Rad Rhino (with all the paperwork included) is one less headache. Thanks a lot for the feedback, it helped with the decision to sell my Rad(s) here before moving. No downside; brand new shiny fat tire Rad Rhino :)

nil

Hello IrishMud
I live in Portugal and recently bought a Radrhino.
I am curious to hear how you fared.
I insured my Radrhino without needing a license plate. I sent copies to the insurance company of the certificate Rad Powerbikes gave me.
The agent told me , that they had all the info, and in a "what if accident" situation the company would be to blame.

Then I took the certificate that Radpower included to the govt registration office, and they said i dont need a license plate.

But i suspect they did not really understand...
So i may try and go there again to make sure. Anyways, for the time being i think i´m ok in case i get stopped by the GNR.
I took off the plate where the license plate is supposed to go, not to give them any ideas...
I have a document of the insurance company, that´ll probly satisfy them. here in mid-Portugal, ebikes are still rare. Too many mountains...
And i could start enjoying the bike immediately without worries.

Still, curious how you fared. In this country authorities all have their own explanation of the law, which sometimes can be a bother, other times an advantage.