Radrover Controller & Display Upgrade Kit

Timpo

Stock chain ring works fine for my purposes (with self imposed 20mph speed limit in mind).
oh okay, it sounded like you wanted to get a bigger chainring when you said you can't pedal that fast.. so that's why posted the link.

spmckinnon

Your comparison does not make sense to me..

What do you mean by "stock motor"? Did you mean Canadian model that's restricted to 500W?
And the 750W is the US model?
You do realize that both Canadian and US motors are identical right? (Unless I got the fact wrong?)

That's what they did with Juiced bikes too.. Juiced's Bafang hub motor started with 350W, then got upgraded to 500W, then 650W.. but the motor stayed identical.
They were all powered by SWX02 motor, what changed was the speed controller, battery voltage and display, which resulted in different power rating.

The "stock motor" and "750W motor" are identical. They're powered by Bafang RMG06 (or some people call it RM G060).
The output is not determined by the motor, but battery and controller.
If you have 35A controller and 52V battery, that's 1820W... I'm a little puzzled how you got 750W.

Sorry if I missed something or didn't understand.. but I'm actually a little confused.
Watch this video:

thatdude902

What do you mean by "stock motor"? Did you mean Canadian model that's restricted to 500W?
You do realize that both Canadian and US motors are identical right? (Unless I got the fact wrong?)

That's what they did with Juiced bikes too.. Juiced's Bafang hub motor started with 350W, then got upgraded to 500W, then 650W.. but the motor stayed identical.
They were all powered by SWX02 motor, what changed was the speed controller, battery voltage and display, which resulted in different power rating.

The "stock motor" and "750W motor" are identical. They're powered by Bafang RMG06 (or some people call it RM G060).
If you have 35A controller and 52V battery, that's 1820W... I'm a little puzzled how you got 750W.

Sorry if I missed something or didn't understand.. but I'm actually a little confused.
You are missing something really big in this thread, the stock motor on any Radrover (likely the Mini too) is under spec, US or Canadian. 2 people have posted pictures comparing the stock "750w" motor with its smaller magnets than a real 750w we bought from aliexpress. See this youtube video. Our pictures confirm what's in that video.

J0nG0m

I think he is trying to say that the "Stock Motor" isn't 750w nominal, and that the replacement is 750w nominal.

Timpo

You are missing something really big in this thread, the stock motor on any Radrover (likely the Mini too) is under spec, US or Canadian. 2 people have posted pictures comparing the stock "750w" motor with its smaller magnets than a real 750w we bought from aliexpress. See this youtube video. Our pictures confirm what's in that video.
Your YouTube video link does not work.. it says it's blocked. Unless it was the same thing as spmckinnon posted?
But okay, thanks for the clarification.. now I know what you meant.

Timpo

I think he is trying to say that the "Stock Motor" isn't 750w nominal, and that the replacement is 750w nominal.
I thought the nominal and max wattage was determined by the speed controller?

For example, many US ebikes are 750W nominal, but for Canadian market, they tweak the controller setting to make it 500W nominal.

AHicks

I think there may be some confusion.

Motors are generally rated for their ability to dissipate heat. The better the motor dissipates heat, the more wattage you can feed it.

When talking controllers, it's about how much power you can run through them without overheating them.

Regarding a bike that's rated for 500w, it safe to say only that SOMETHING in that bike's systems is limiting that bike's ability to carry anything higher. Could be the motor, could be the controller (or in this case, the setup within the controller's display unit), could even be the battery or the battery's BMS. Only some experimenting/detective work can tell you for sure.

spmckinnon

This controller upgrade has started me on a path of near $1000 of upgrades and I couldn't be happier. Controller + motor first, then hydraulic brakes, and now a 52V 17.5Ah battery. Bought this one on AliExpress (took 12 days). I got the 40A one, because why not it's just a little bit more. Unit Pack power seems to get some recommendations on reddit & endless sphere. It's about 2.2 pounds heavier than my old 11.6Ah battery.

Installing the battery requires some soldering, had to cut the wire on the controller & solder in the new connectors. Anyway, performance was amazing. I hit 31 mph on throttle alone, that was after I went a few miles already, including one stretch in the park where I went 30 mph up a slight incline (while pedaling). I went a little over 31 a few times pedaling. I was spinning ok (years on road bikes) so I'm not sure I'll get a bigger chainring yet.

Anyway, here's how that battery fits on our frame:
I went ahead and ordered myself the 40A version. Thanks for the link, I hope the installation process isn't too bad. Time to learn how to solder.

AHicks

What does Bolton's kit use for a connector? If it connects to your stock Rad battery without modification, you need to change that connection to avoid a bottleneck in your power delivery. It's way too small for what you are trying to accomplish.

thatdude902

On the product page it lists a number of connector options you can request, which one did you request? None of these look compatible. I wonder if I could request one that fits our controller!?

View attachment 32527
I got number 7 by not making any request. Supposedly that's the default for shipping to USA if you don't make request. And # 1 looks like an anti spark xt90, that's supposed to be the preferred for high power stuff. One benefit of getting #7 was that it fit's the original rubber grommet on the frame, just barely & one connector at a time by slicing open an inch or so of the shrink tubing.

And congrads on your new 50 kph on-throttle-alone moped. :)

Edit: oh the Bolton kit uses the same one as Rad uses, some waterproof connector that I'm not sure is meant for 35 Amps.

SpiderDice

Yep, it the Juiced version. The horn is great, I haven't really needed the alarm part. If you do a search for "usb horn" on aliexpress, you can find it cheaper but in a different color both with or without the alarm function.
Awesome, thanks dude!

thatdude902

The last Black friday price ($2999, from the regular price of $3499 at the time) on the Hyperfat 1100 was really tempting. But saw some posts on reddit about it having issues where it would hesitate on certain speeds. Plus they were talking about how that same issue was never fixed from the Hyperfat 1000. So I put it off for the time, and Juicedbike then raised the price to the $3999 in January. Yeah, forget that.

AHicks

Does the KT-LCD8H display work without the upgraded controller?
Nope. Not to my understanding anyway. KT displays work only with KT based controllers, and then just those set up for them. That's what makes Bolton's kits such a good value. You could talk to him about selling a kit with the LCD8 display instead of the LCD3.

AHicks

For the price of a Rad, you can buy one of those and modify it to dragon slayer standards (motor of choice, 35-40a controller, 52v battery of your choice, etc.) and STILL have way less invested in it than some others.