Replacing Shimano Deore BR-M6000 Hydraulic disc brakes

I have a Gepida Alboin SLX Trekking pedelec. The brakes are getting worn--the bike doesn't stop as easily and the handles have to be squeezed in more. I just got the bike, slightly used. What am I looking at cost wise in terms of replacing these? Is it a routine repair in a good bike shop? Is there just one pad for the brakes or are there options to upgrade? Is the Shimano Deore BR-M6000 considered a good brake system? Last, is there a point at which I can f*ck up the brakes if they aren't changed, or do they just get worn to the point of not being able to stop? Thanks for any help. This is my first ebike. Thrilled with it so far, and when I first got it the brakes were amazing.

drewberz

you may need pads. first, check the thickness of each pad on either side of the rotor. they should be at least 1mm thick per Park Tools guide. if the pads aren't worn, the brakes may need to be bled.

if you determine the pads are worn, they are $7 a set from REI so if both levers dont feel good you'd need 2 sets. so $14+labor and labor shouldn't be more than 10 min. it's very routine and you could do it yourself if moderately mechanically inclined. you can 'upgrade' to metallic (I did) but you'd probably also need new rotors which is $30+ a piece. I upgraded because I do lots of hills and weigh 200+ lbs. that's a good brake system...you can mess them up by wearing through all the pad and scoring (scratching) the rotor and if you are really oblivious you could go through the metal on the pad and mess up the pistons of the caliper.

Thanks. I'll take a flashlight and look at the brakes. I have a good bike shop near here and I've contacted them. Park Tools is an excellent site--thanks--and right off I see the repair is out of my league but I'll observe when they are replaced. The hills around here are steep as a cow's face, and hurtling down them is taxing on the brakes.

Last edited:
I looked at the pads and there is a little cushion there, not down to metal, but definitely thin. The brake system uses a cotter pin. Hope it's easy for somebody used to working on these.

batmick1

Just putting in new pads is very quick and easy. Any bike shop should be able to do it if you don't feel up to the task. If the brakes need to be bled, that's fairly easy too if you have the right tools. Especially with Shimanos because they use mineral oil and not brake fluid. Again, any bike shop should be able to do this. Front and rear pads and a quick bleed takes 30 minutes max.

UPDATE: I had the brake pads replaced with semi-metalic pads. The ones on the bike were quite worn down, thinner than a stick of gum at the max. The rears had some metal showing around the edges of the pad. The cost for front and rear was €45, about $52. The good news is that it was obvious when it was time to change them, and no damage was done from letting them get thin.

Last edited: