Ridge Rider for on road use?

MAPC

Would love to hear from people who use their RR at least mostly on road. I am close to pulling the trigger on one and want to hear what others experiences have been.

Was originally focused on an Interceptor (and found two very appealing deals on used/demo models) but I really like the battery location and torque sensor on the RR. I may do some off-road riding but not a ton and nothing too aggressive.

Thoughts?

6zfshdb

Interesting. 95% of my riding is off road and I decided on the Platinum Interceptor. Pretty much the opposite of what you are looking to do.

I looked long and hard at the RR before buying and test rode both. In the end, I went with the Interceptor mainly because the RR lacked the step thru and mag wheel options I wanted. This isn't likely a problem for you. The RR has better front suspension and the downtube battery does make for better handling. I noticed no difference in the torque sensor performance between the two bikes.

At first glance, the RR is obviously an ebike though due to the downtube battery location. I ride in areas where ebike laws are still evolving and I never know for sure if I'm legal or not. The rear rack battery on the Interceptor is easily concealed with panniers making the bike more "stealthy".

I had to make some modifications to the Interceptor to make it more suitable for the trail. I swapped the cruiser style handlebars with Jones H bars and replaced the RST front forks with RockShox Gold which come standard on the RR. I also replaced the 11 - 36 cassette (also stock on the RR) with an 11 - 42 for better hill climbing.

Based on my test rides, I think the RR handles very well on pavement so don't let that influence your decision. IMO, no modifications would be necessary for using the RR on the road. The RR is also $200 cheaper than the Interceptor.

These were the main decision factors I used. I hope they are of some help.

MAPC

Interesting. 95% of my riding is off road and I decided on the Platinum Interceptor. Pretty much the opposite of what you are looking to do.

I looked long and hard at the RR before buying and test rode both. In the end, I went with the Interceptor mainly because the RR lacked the step thru and mag wheel options I wanted. This isn't likely a problem for you. The RR has better front suspension and the downtube battery does make for better handling. I noticed no difference in the torque sensor performance between the two bikes.

At first glance, the RR is obviously an ebike though due to the downtube battery location. I ride in areas where ebike laws are still evolving and I never know for sure if I'm legal or not. The rear rack battery on the Interceptor is easily concealed with panniers making the bike more "stealthy".

I had to make some modifications to the Interceptor to make it more suitable for the trail. I swapped the cruiser style handlebars with Jones H bars and replaced the RST front forks with RockShox Gold which come standard on the RR. I also replaced the 11 - 36 cassette (also stock on the RR) with an 11 - 42 for better hill climbing.

Based on my test rides, I think the RR handles very well on pavement so don't let that influence your decision. IMO, no modifications would be necessary for using the RR on the road. The RR is also $200 cheaper than the Interceptor.

These were the main decision factors I used. I hope they are of some help.
Very helpful. I found a great very slightly used RR for 1900 so way less than buying a new Platinum Interceptor which is influencing my decision ;)

Feliz

I don't have a RR but I've had a Platinum Interceptor for I think about three years and I've enjoyed it, it's an awesome bike. But.....I've accumulated a few other bikes, I leave one at each of my kids, at the lake, for my grandchildren etc. I'm starting to find it feels dated and I'm not enjoying the handling, I don't think I really even rode it this past summer. Doesn't answer your question but just sayin'. Good luck.

Deacon Blues

I've owned a RR for around 3 years, with most of my riding on paved roads or easy, wide trails. It does both fairly well. Having said that, for me this bike doesn't work. I realize that everyone is different and someone else may find the bike comfortable and a joy to ride.
If you can, take the bike for a decent ride before you buy it. Personally, I find the width and angle of the handle bars put my wrists at an odd angle.

MAPC

I've owned a RR for around 3 years, with most of my riding on paved roads or easy, wide trails. It does both fairly well. Having said that, for me this bike doesn't work. I realize that everyone is different and someone else may find the bike comfortable and a joy to ride.
If you can, take the bike for a decent ride before you buy it. Personally, I find the width and angle of the handle bars put my wrists at an odd angle.
Thanks for the feedback. The RR is out now- I agreed to buy one from someone, very slightly used. We agreed on a price and a time to pick it up and then, allegedly, his 'son' sold it to someone else without him knowing it. Fishy? Perhaps....but I am filing it under 'it wasn't meant to be'.