Sizing - 2019 Sduro trekking S 9.0 High Step

Erich995

I am right between the medium and large with a height of 5’10”. I have a 31” inseam.

The bike will primarily be used for commuting (40 mile round trip).

Would you buy the medium or large and why?

Thank you

Ravi Kempaiah

I am right between the medium and large with a height of 5’10”. I have a 31” inseam.

The bike will primarily be used for commuting (40 mile round trip).

Would you buy the medium or large and why?

Thank you
Medium or 52cm frame.

Read this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/are-haibikes-huge.13377/page-2#post-109468

I recommend you try both 48cm and 52cm side by side.

And 56cm (large) will be too big for you and I am certain you will regret getting the large frame.

Over50

I went through this before I ordered my 4.0 Trekking. I got the small and feel like the medium would have worked for reach but not for standover. The small is exactly perfect for me in standover (5'9") but feels a bit tight/cramped in reach. Which is why, if I were considering another Haibike (and the one you are considering is a great looking option) I would consider the mid-step version. It really doesn't look all that different from the photos - or I mean it is hard to recognize as a low step. But may solve the conundrum I had with the 4.0. I think the geometry is revised since I bought the 4.0 so I'm not opining on which size would fit you best. Awesome looking bike though. You're gonna have a blast commuting on that.

Over50

Actually I did give it some consideration. Discussed it quite a bit with the LBS. I never carried through however because the bike isn't uncomfortable. While I feel I could benefit from stretching a bit more I've never finished a commute on it and felt any hand or neck pain.

JayVee

Stay away from the 56 high step. The standover height is roughly 820mm. It is 800-805mm for the 52. These aren’t absolute values. It depends on how you straddle the bike and how far back your saddle is. But both values are higher than for some of the legacy Trekking frames and they aren’t present on Haibike’s website due to a bug. The measurements given above were made by a dealer at my request.

Regarding low step: if you want a dual battery MRS setup be sure to ask the dealer if your frame size can accommodate it. Some of the smaller frames might not have enough room for the second battery.

Unless you have a reference frame to measure and compare from on an existing bike, I'd recommend a demo if possible.

Last edited:

Erich995

I cannot find an LBS in Minnesota with a demo bikes; so I will need to make a decision based on the input here.

Based on folks comments, it sounds like the large frame is out, medium high step "should" work, but may also want to consider even smaller or the low step, but with the low step there may be battery fitment concerns. So many variables and decisions :)

If folks were me at 5'10 (31" inseam) and did not have the option to demo - what would you pull the trigger on?

Erich995

Medium or 52cm frame.

Read this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/are-haibikes-huge.13377/page-2#post-109468

I recommend you try both 48cm and 52cm side by side.

And 56cm (large) will be too big for you and I am certain you will regret getting the large frame.
It looks like their site information is suspect....

https://www.haibikeusa.com/sduro-trekking-s-9-0-hi-step-h-24.html

It shows the 56 as the medium. What I am nervous about is I see multiple versions of the geometry information on the internet and all are saying different things. I am more confused than ever....according to this I would be going with the 48 "extra small" or the 52 "small".

1552401600960.png

Ravi Kempaiah

I cannot find an LBS in Minnesota with a demo bikes; so I will need to make a decision based on the input here.
No dealer in the country has this bike yet. It will arrive in 3-4 weeks time.
You do have several dealers in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin and any of these dealers can arrange your test ride and service down the load. Lamere cycles is a very good shop and they do have lot of experience selling e-bikes.
Here are two dealers you can visit once the bike arrives to the US. In my mind you should go with 48cm high-step or 52cm low-step. It's a toss. 56cm will sure be a mistake and I think 52cm high-step will be a mistake too. I am 6ft with 33 inseam, I find 52cm just perfect.

Haibike in MN - 1.JPG

Haibike in MN - 2.JPG

JayVee

Haibike usa has put in the standover info for the high step which is good. I think it's accurate.

But there's a problem for the low-step chart you printed. The EU and US frame sizes don't match... The US 52 L has a reach of 425mm and the EU version has a reach of 406mm. I think the EU chart is right because the US 48M frame size has a seat tube length of 520mm. Therefore it should be 52. But now there's a doubt... I think I'm going to bug my LBS again.

Haibike mucks up the charts every single year... Pretty amateurish in my book.

I'll let you compare and decide.

Low step US chart:
(https://www.haibikeusa.com/sduro/adventure/trekking/sduro-trekking-s-9-0-lo-step-h-24.html)

1552409783610.png

Low step EU chart:
https://www.haibike.com/en/INT/bikes/827/2020-sduro-trekking-s-9-0?variant=4540511944

1552410365607.png

Erich995

Lamere cycles in Minnesota has some interesting insight.
https://www.lamerecycles.com/haibike-sizing
I do agree with them that their Mountain Bikes run small but from my own experience, their Trekking bikes run large.
I am working with Lamere cycles now - they’re great to work with. One thing for sure - there are many different views on sizing. He said whichever way I go if I don’t like it he’ll take care of it . They seem very transparent and trust them.

Over50

... If folks were me at 5'10 (31" inseam) and did not have the option to demo - what would you pull the trigger on?
If I were you and had to pull the trigger sight unseen: I'd go 52 and low-step. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as this is me translating my experience with the 4.0 Trekking 48 high step (and I'm an inch shorter than you). Might be completely revised/different geometry.

JayVee

If I were you and had to pull the trigger sight unseen: I'd go 52 and low-step. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as this is me translating my experience with the 4.0 Trekking 48 high step (and I'm an inch shorter than you). Might be completely revised/different geometry.
Your frame has a reach of 365mm in 48, right? These new frames are different to yours.

This model has a reach of 394mm in size 48 low-step. The advantage of the smaller 48 lo-step frame is that you can put a suspension device on the seatpost without worrying. The disadvantage is that the second MRS battery might not fit. The 52 lo-step has a head tube of 170mm and a stack of 666. That means that the 52 lo-step frame will be 2 cms higher than the 52 hi-step frame. This affects handlebar height and might place the handlebars higher depending on the number of spacers given. That could be good or bad, depending on the OP’s preferences.

The dealer said he would handle the size to the OP’s satisfaction. So he no longer needs to worry.

I first need to sell my current bike which is a huge challenge. It has 17,300 kilometres and has a slight wiggle in the drive. I don't want to misrepresent it to a potential buyer, so I won't be resetting the counter (as many people do). The bike has the miles that it has. However, it's almost unsellable. Most 2nd bikes in my locale have less than 3000 kilometers. But if I ever get to switch, it will be a size 52 lo-step. I'm 6ft0.

Last edited:

fr8dogjoe

I am going to have a few options to try. I will keep the thread posted on what I ended up with.
I am purchasing a 2018 SDURO Trekking 9.5. The dealer recommended an XL. I am 75" with a 36" inseam and weigh 205 pounds. Will be checking it out shortly.