Spark Leisure or the RadRover ?

BarryInOttawa

I'm looking for the best "fat" e-bike I can get for $2K.
The Spark Leisure and the RadRover seem like the 2 best options I've seen so far.

I'm looking for the the best battery/motor system possible, best components of course, comfort...and speed :)

Opinions and/or advice ?

Last edited:

ElevenAD

i would check out Amego bikes first,they have a better selection than SparK or Rover and several great Bang for your buck bikes, also check out the Voltbike Yukon

BarryInOttawa

I was looking at VoltBikes....wasn't sure about them. I'm not too keen on the twist-throttle...I could see my wrist getting tired of it pretty fast.
They also claim a 750W motor, even though it's the exact same Bofang model as the one Spark uses, and advertises as 500W. The contact from Spark I spoke to said that VoltBikes is lying with their marketing.

Last edited:

AHicks

I just want to mention that if you can find a bike that checks all your boxes otherwise, changing the throttle from twist to thumb is not that difficult if you're at all handy. There's only 3 wires involved, assuming there are no other functions built into the throttle assembly. A hot, a ground, and the signal wire....

ElevenAD

I was looking at VoltBikes....wasn't sure about them. I'm not too keen on the twist-throttle...I could see my wrist getting tired of it pretty fast.
They also claim a 750W motor, even though it's the exact same Bofang model as the one Spark uses, and advertises as 500W. The contact from Spark I spoke to said that VoltBikes is lying with their marketing.
one of my bikes has a twist throttle, i put a CrampBuster on it,problem solved! now its a thumb throttle,Crampbuster cost like 10bucks and snaps on in 1 second, at this point i actually prefer the twist throttle with the Crampbuster over my actual thumb throttle.

Browneye

Throttle - easy change.
Make sure you test ride one - I did and thought the 4" tires were clumsy, balky turning.

I think they put different windings on the same hub housings. The watts rating depends on battery voltage max-amps on the controller as well.

There are two hubs - one is about 158mm overall diameter, the larger is 168. Perhaps someone more experienced can sort them all out - @Thomas Jaszewski ??

The one I got here is the larger of the two, but labeled 48v and 500w. It's more than enough power, all the way to 28mph. It's wife's bike, she's happiest about 15-18.

BarryInOttawa

one of my bikes has a twist throttle, i put a CrampBuster on it,problem solved! now its a thumb throttle,Crampbuster cost like 10bucks and snaps on in 1 second, at this point i actually prefer the twist throttle with the Crampbuster over my actual thumb throttle.
Googled that ....it's a band-aid solution, not my style. I'd swap out the control entirely.

Last edited:

BarryInOttawa

Throttle - easy change.
Make sure you test ride one - I did and thought the 4" tires were clumsy, balky turning.

I think they put different windings on the same hub housings. The watts rating depends on battery voltage max-amps on the controller as well.

There are two hubs - one is about 158mm overall diameter, the larger is 168. Perhaps someone more experienced can sort them all out - @Thomas Jaszewski ??

The one I got here is the larger of the two, but labeled 48v and 500w. It's more than enough power, all the way to 28mph. It's wife's bike, she's happiest about 15-18.

The Canadian bikes are all made in Vancouver (and area) it seems....I won't be able to test ride any of them since I live in Ontario. It'll be the best guess after asking around and doing online research.

BarryInOttawa

I Googled it. I'm not a "band aid" kinda guy. I'd swap out the twist entirely and put on the different controller.

BarryInOttawa

The Canada Trail is literally 100 yards from my door ! So long comfy rides are my goal !
Spark has a 17A battery, which seems like the most powerful I've seen in my price range.