Step-Thru

Dewey

Some more European step through's, you can see the Bosch powertube battery integrated on the downtube of the first three 2018 models, at the bottom are two new folding step through ebikes:

KTM Macina Eight Disc P5 (Austria)

Flyer Gotour6 (Switzerland)

Victoria eTrekking 12:8 (Germany)

Koga E-Nova (Netherlands)

Ridgeback Electron (England)

Victoria eClassic 3.4 (Germany)

i:SY DrivE, despite the 20" wheels and looks this is not a folding ebike (Germany)

Flyer Pluto folding ebike (Switzerland)

Brompton Electric folding ebike, lightweight (37lb) with a 250w hub motor, torque and cadence sensor and 300wh battery. The phone app looks useful as the LED display is on top of the battery bag. (England)

Last edited:

Dewey

A motor recommendation for converting a step through is the TDCM IGH that builds a direct drive hub motor around a 5-speed Sturmey Archer IGH.
Available from Grin with some neat add-on's like a bottom bracket torque sensor, this combines the advantages of a DD motor with shifting when stationary, useful for converting a city step through with rim or disk brakes. However there are some considerations when selecting a donor frame: the motor design cannot use conventional torque arms because the axle is the gear hub's Sturmey Archer flat axle and no motor torque is applied to it, instead it just has one tab washer on the left side onto which all the motor torque is applied, this requires a frame with track style forkends or horizontal slotted rear dropouts, and you would want to keep power to 36v/250w or risk the washer bending the drop out and spinning out. In Europe Accell have put it on the Sparta R5E and they solved the mounting problem on that bike with a cut out behind the rear drop outs into which a threaded torque arm is bolted on both sides:

Last edited:

Dewey

Not strictly a step through ebike but I thought I'd share, I first came across adult kick scooters using bicycle components when driving through Lancaster County Pennsylvania where the Amish use them. Sure enough you can now buy them with a motor, and if you own huskies even dog powered, enjoy :)

Last edited:

Dewey

Upthread on page 1 is a picture of the previous model 2017 Cube Elly which is a step through with optional derailleur or IGH shifters. Continuing the 2018 progression towards relocating batteries off the rear rack for 2018 Cube have revised the frame to move the battery to a vertical orientation in front of the seat post, and changed the motor to the revised Bosch Active Line Cruise that is 25% smaller and lighter than the previous motor. This new iteration is less expensive, lighter weight, and better balanced, with a lower rear rack height. For riders concerned about accidentally kicking their heel against the battery when getting off the bike the cruise version with IGH shifters has a seat post more angled to the rear giving a more relaxed riding position but also enough space so the battery is mounted behind the seat post. US Cube dealers include Propel, NY, and Motostrano, CA.

Cube Elly Ride Hybrid

Cube Elly Cruise Hybrid

Last edited:

Dewey

Le Grand Elille 3 (Poland)
A European step through using the 36v 250W Bafang Max mid-drive motor, Nexus 7-speed IGH, and standard bicycle rim V-brakes.

Last edited:

Dewey

Workcycles FR8 V8 (Netherlands)
Sturdy Dutch mid-tail cargo ebike rated to carry up to 500lb. Workcycles used the 36v 250W Pendix mid-drive motor. Magura hydraulic rim brakes mean you can keep using the front dynamo and rear IGH hubs.

Last edited:

Dewey

Ampler Stellar
They did a nice job hiding the battery in the downtube, but isn't this a mid-step/mixte, I thought the Ancient Mystic Society of no Homers ruled out those on this thread...or did they? ;-)

e-boy

My BAD !
I got carried away by the beauty .
I can't bear to take it down , but I can't object if the forum moderator does .

Dewey

Back on track

Bergamont E-Ville N330 (Germany)

EBCO Urban City UCL-80 (England)

Volt Kensington (not related to VoltBike) (England)

Wisper Torque (England)

Woosh Santana CD (England)

Last edited:

Dewey

Actually if mid-step/mixte frames are acceptable to the low-step aficiando/connoisseur I am currently admiring the Sven Cycles Swift, frame built around the Shimano Steps motor, made in Dorset (England)

Last edited:

Dewey

Nice to see those new Australian AVE brand step-through ebikes, their press release talks about exporting them to the US and Europe later in 2018. It will be interesting to see how the Panasonic mid-drive motor on the AVE TH9 model is received by the US market, one of the European step-through's posted upthread the Swiss brand Flyer Upstreet 5 has this motor: according to a 2017 Panasonic press release Panasonic use this single chainring but dual ratio two-speed internal gear mid-drive motor on their new XM1 eMTB.

Last edited:

Dewey

Canadian brand Opus have revised their Connect step through model and repositioned the battery pack from the side to the top of the rear rack.

2017 model:

2018 model:

Dewey

Beaumont Bicycle step through, custom-built frame with a front hub motor kit. The framebuilder posted these photos showing the cable routing being added to the steel frame. (England)

Last edited: