Stromer ST3 - report about test on the long run

Johnny

So if they only modified ST2S so that it would fit 27.5" wheels wouldn't it be a better bicycle?

I am not trying to bash Stromer but for 7.5K the components are not impressive almost everything is a step down from ST2S. For this price I would expect a pinion + belt but they didn't even put Di2 on it. Again no suspension is another bummer (I am not too enthusiastic about carbon forks since with tires this wide I doubt they add anything to the ride and they actually compromise high speed safety so alloy fork would have been "ok" if the price was not that steep). It still is very heavy.

I think there is a market for reasonably priced, premium hub motor commuters.

btw ST2 does not have the clearance for 27.5 wheels right ?

bluecat

So if they only modified ST2S so that it would fit 27.5" wheels wouldn't it be a better bicycle?
They did, see in the ST5 reports.

I would expect a pinion + belt
Stromer goes in direction sport e-bike. The slow switching Pinion and the the high tension (which disturbs the TMM4) of the Gates Belt might come on a Stromer, when they decide to build a slow bike. See first reports about the Wren USD fork, maybe the first fork for 45 km/e road-e-bikes ever, on stromerforum.ch

Johnny

They did, see in the ST5 reports.

Stromer goes in direction sport e-bike. The slow switching Pinion and the the high tension (which disturbs the TMM4) of the Gates Belt might come on a Stromer, when they decide to build a slow bike. See first reports about the Wren USD fork, maybe the first fork for 45 km/e road-e-bikes ever, on stromerforum.ch
Thanks for the info. I don't see why a quality inverted suspension fork wouldn't work or work any different than the "28mph" specific fork. Those forks are designed for downhill where it is a high speed + very high impact condition.

Also if the tmm4 torque sensor is the problem why not use a bottom bracket sensor? Of course they can design a better internally geared setup for their bike can't they? Especially given the price?

bluecat

a) I don't see why a quality inverted suspension fork wouldn't work or work any different than the "28mph" specific fork. Those forks are designed for downhill where it is a high speed + very high impact condition.

b) why not use a bottom bracket sensor?

c) Of course they can design a better internally geared setup for their bike can't they?
a) You've already given the answer, it's the huge travel length of such forks. Let me show it: You ride your Stromer, a sport bike, with sport setup (=saddle higher than handlebar) Stromer speed (=45km/h). Emergency braking! A dynamic change of weight happens. The rear wheel has only limited contact, yourself feel light in the saddle, all weight on the front wheel. Now the same with a high end downhill fork. With all the load, the fork will dive, you will be lifted out of the saddle - and have a free flight over the handlebar.

b) At this place, a sensor is useless, as he only can register of pedaling or not. The sensor has to be in or at the axle.

c) They will not. It's a small company and after ten years, they made the turnaround (due to strict cost control).