The new turbo Vado 2017

JayVee

Looks cool. I wonder what the specs are and if it's meant to replace the current Turbo in the medium term or be an additional line of e-bikes.

Edit: only the Turbo S will remain with the hub drive from what I've gathered around the web.

Last edited:
WOW!!! Wonder if they are using the same motor as in Turbo Levo? :rolleyes: I hope it's more color option then silver grey. Matt black and red is pretty awesome cool that they keep them two color option. I don't like the kickstand on the back, I like the double fork kickstand much better. :) And looks like the fender is much longer too.

JayVee

WOW!!! Wonder if they are using the same motor as in Turbo Levo? :rolleyes: I hope it's more color option then silver grey. Matt black and red is pretty awesome cool that they keep them two color option. I don't like the kickstand on the back, I like the double fork kickstand much better. :) And looks like the fender is much longer too.
Brose drive indeed. Let's see how the 45km/h version compares to the Bosch and Yamaha competition.

I hope Specialized has the brains to propose a decent battery capacity. A 500Wh battery can somewhat limit the use of a Speed Pedelec... A 650wh battery would make the bike more versatile. BH will have 600 Wh batteries for some of its 2017 models...

In any event, this new configuration allows Specialized to lower the price of the Turbos a bit (top end model is said to cost ~4000 Euros). And a lot of people are excited about the 45km/h version of the Brose engine... It should give a light and steathly bike. I suspect it will be extremely popular as a commuter bike.

My main complaint here: the rack seems a bit flimsy.

bazzapage

From what I gather this will change the Turbo line from 'fast' and 'faster' to a 'slow' and 'fast' model. The current Turbo is capable of >40kph restricted to 25 in Europe, whereas the new entry level one will be 25kph with a more expensive 45kph model.

I dunno. I'm not a big fan of the extended teardrop shape of the downtube now. I much prefer the angular parallel lines of the previous generations and even the Levos. It looks less "stealth" than previous models. I guess, I don't care yet as I already got my Turbo X.

No chain retention device on the new ones, hope the chain stays on because it looks like quite a tight gap between chainring and frame. Hate to see the chain jammed in there.
Otherwise looks like a nice clean design, an IGH would be even nicer.

And is looks like +- button for speed is back. In my opinion joystick in 2015 2015 models is good for navigation on display meny but it doesn't feel right for controlling speed with. I don't feel confident when I have gloves on I have to double check most of the time to see if I pressed correct.

What's the deal with mirrors in the EU/UK/etc? I keep looking for different manufacturer's take on the rearview mirror laws! Or is this bike not fast enough to require them?

Here the deal:

For S-Pedelecs:

type approval is required
insurance is mandatory (evidence must be displayed on the bike)
moped driving licence is required
must be ridden on the road (no cycle paths!)
suitable protective helmet (most likely a motorcycle helmet)
beefier braking system, lighting and signalling and tyres (as specified in EU directive)
rear view mirrors
500W maximum power

Here's the preview video from @JayVee's link with some nice shots of the new bikes and test ride footage. (German)

The new display on the VADOs is what really caught my eye. It looks way nicer than the current gen Turbos (in my opinion, the worst part of my bike). The big shot of it says 2.2" LCD Display, w/USB charge port & touchscreen. Bluetooth connection to Mission control and handlebar remote. Looks like it will have the ability to show you our cadence and watt input.

There are now 5 status LEDs on the battery next to the power switch. I'm guessing the display and remote get their own check?

Here are some screen grabs of the video:

controller.jpg front_brake.jpg frontaxle.jpg brakes.jpg vado_expert3.jpg vado_expert2.jpg vado_expert.jpg suspension_fork.jpg Remote.jpg

Here is another video with much closer views of the grey "city" style bike with rack/fender kit.

Last edited:
They will be able to keep all of the wiring in the main tube with the exception of the rear lights. It will probably reduce manufacturing assembly time and quality problems. (I added a front light and handle bar bag to my Turbo S which necessitated moving the front light which meant opening the wiring.) Having all of the main power connectors in one compartment has got to help a lot and reduce the number of connectors.

I looks like they got the front fender designed correctly this time too.

JayVee

600Wh battery for the speed pedelec (Vado Expert) version, according to the info in Toynut's link, and that value is also shown in screen caps above. Looks juicy. :)

Last edited: