[Tip] Yamaha PW - How to check the number of cycles & absolute battery capacity

Discussion in 'Haibike Forum' started by JayVee, Apr 17, 2017.

1. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

I thought I would share this tip because it’s useful when buying a second hand bike. It applies to the frame battery of the PW series drives, but not the PW-X.

By pressing down the button on the battery for a given amount of time, you can obtain information about:
    • The number of cycles: this tells you how many times the battery has been fully charged.
    • The absolute battery capacity: tells you how much energy storage capacity the battery has lost since it was new. A new battery has an absolute battery capacity of 100%, whereas a battery that has lost 26% of its energy capacity will have an absolute battery capacity of 74%. The absolute battery capacity is expressed in 25% increments.
    Determining the number of battery cycles

The leds are assigned numbers in the following order:

4 ---- (F)
    3 ---
    2 --
    1 - (E)

Press the button on your battery for 20 seconds. The following led combinations give you the number of cycles:

Led 1 Blinking: 0 to 100 cycles
    Led 1 On: 101 to 200 cycles

Led 1, 2 Blinking: 201 to 300 cycles
    Led 1, 2 On: 301 to 400 cycles

Led 1, 2, 3 Blinking: 401 to 500 cycles
    Led 1, 2, 3 On: 501 to 600 cycles

Led 1, 2, 3, 4 Blinking: 601 to 700 cycles
    Let 1, 2, 3, 4 On: 701 or more cycles

Note: A new battery should only have led 1 blinking.

Determining the absolute battery capacity

The leds are ordered in the same manner as for the previous test.

Press the button on your battery for 30 seconds. The following led combinations give you the absolute capacity:

Led 1 on: 0 to 24 % capacity
    Led 1, 2 on: 25% to 49% capacity
    Led 1, 2, 3 on: 50 to 74% capacity
    Led 1, 2, 3, 4 on: 75 to 100% capacity

Note: A new battery should have all 4 leds turned on.

2. Please support your local electric bike shop! These guys work hard offering test rides, sharing expertise and performing support.
    EBR strives to be impartial, we don't sell bikes ourselves and keep ads limited and relevant. Donations are greatly appreciated.

3. DanielGlacial

DanielGlacial New Member

Will be nice people showing the stats and then you can get an estimate how long the battery last. If you can get 3 years its good i think.
    You would think it would be easier to show numbers in display ?

4. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

Mine's almost new, it shows 0 to 100 cycles and an absolute battery capacity of 75 to 100%. I'm curious to see after how many cycles the absolute battery capacity will drop under 75%.

5. fxr3

fxr3 Active Member

Thats a sweet useful feature for sure.

6. Ann M.

Ann M. Administrator

Thanks @JayVee, this is some handy info; please provide the source for your data. Documentation always rocks! :)

7. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

It comes straight from the Yamaha service manual. :)

Ann M. likes this.
  8. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

I'm now at 3300 kilometers ridden and have between 101 to 200 cycles (1st light is solid).

Absolutely battery capacity is still between 75 and 100% (4 solids bars displayed).

9. Svein Tore

Svein Tore New Member

Anyone seen a way to read the kilometers ridden with the LED display? Have checked the service manual but could not find any info.

10. JayVee

JayVee Well-Known Member

5200 kilometres on the bike:

- Absolute battery capacity 100% (or to be more precise, somewhere between 75 and 100%)
    - I have leds 1 and 2 blinking, whereas a week ago only 1 was blinking. So I have roughly 200 cycles.

I've figured out that 1 partial charge = 1 cycle.

11. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Anyone know if there is any way to check this on a Bosch battery system?

12. Ravi Kempaiah

Ravi Kempaiah Well-Known Member

Any Bosch certified dealer can connect to your bike and see a whole bunch of information related to your motor, battery, cycles, temperature, speed etc.
    If they print the service document, it will show the # of cycles on your battery.

Sweetwater likes this.
  13. Sweetwater

Sweetwater New Member

I'm curious about battery cycles.
    When a battery is fully charged after a full discharge or fully charged after a 25-50% discharge, do these count a full cycles?
    I have pulled the charger at 80% several times when I knew I wouldn't need a full charge for my next ride, another full cycle?
    My impression of the Li-ion battery packs is that they prefer a wide range of use to charge, draw them down then fill them up.
    But that doesn't always match real life use.
    No other way to evaluate other than the dealer hookup and software?
    Bosch dealers in my area decline to work on bikes they did not sell.

14. Ravi Kempaiah

Ravi Kempaiah Well-Known Member

It's hard to say.
    When I updated my bike, I got to see the document and it clearly mentioned less # of cycles and I think it is because I never let it go below 1 bar and stop charging as it hits the 5th bar.
    What % range accounts for 1 full charge, it is hard to say but if you are not doing deep charging/discharging, you will get few more cycles of life and this I can say from my experience so far.
    So, my battery hasn't showed any sign of capacity loss even after 5000 miles. I alternate b/w 400pack and 500 pack.

Sweetwater likes this.