Ways to make my ride more cushy?

flipper

So, my new magnum lowrider cruiser has a front suspension fork but it doesn't do all that much, prolly because at 170lbs i don't weigh that much, so i'd like to see what my other options are. the most obvious thing is a suspension seatpost but the one i can afford at this juncture, the satori animaris, won't fit my 30.4 mm seatpost, since near as i can tell the satori only comes in 30.9 and 31.6 and i can't find any suitable shims. so, where does that leave me? a cloud 9 seat or similar?

the bike has big ben 2.15" tires, 30 to 55 psi. i've lowered both front and back to 30. can i go any lower? (also, i see some people lower the back and not the front; why is that? and should i do that?)

thanks for any thoughts you might have!

6zfshdb

Satori offers a 27.2 mm size but they are hard to find right now. There is this one on eBay though:

There is also this one from Australia but it's pretty pricey:

Last edited:

flipper

thanks for that. now, my seatpost length is 300mm, whereas the NCX's is 350. do you just cut it down or ?????

JayVee

If you don't already have them, try platform shoes and platform pedals. You'll be surprised at how much less your sensitive areas will feel sensitive.

Timpo

thanks for that. now, my seatpost length is 300mm, whereas the NCX's is 350. do you just cut it down or ?????
Cut it? Why? Are you a shorter person? Do you need a shorter seat post?

Also, unlike normal seatpost, I don't think you can cut down suspension seatpost because there's usually things (shock absorption mechanism) in the tube. (similar to shock strut on cars, or even sprung suspension on bikes)
As you can see on page 5, there's an adjustment right at the bottom of tube too. https://www.srsuntour.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Consumer/Bike/Owners manuals/Suspension Seatpost Manual/MY19_EN_Suspension_seatpost_manual-20190226.pdf

I don't think you need to cut it down though, because the seat tube for Magnum Cruiser is 16.5 inch (419mm) which is longer than 350mm.
Whether you have 350mm or 300mm, it makes no difference.

Timpo

hmmmm. so is seat tube (419mm) the way to look at it and not seat-post length, which is given as 300mm?
Ooops sorry I just looked at the spec sheet and it said that the seat tube was 419mm, but when I looked at photo, the seat tube was bent at the bottom, which makes it shorter than 419mm for the straight part.

Anyways, do you need seat post to be cut? When you ride, do you ride your seatpost all the way down?
If you get a 350mm seatpost going up from 300mm, the difference is 50mm, which is approximately 2 inches.

So, if you get a 350mm seatpost, you will increase the lowest point of seat height by 2 inches, which won't matter if you're a taller person.
Also I can't measure the length of straight part of seat tube just by looking at the photo, if the length of straight part is 350mm or longer, then you won't notice any difference because you can drop the seatpost all the way down.
Magnum Cruiser Electric Bike Nongear Side

Timpo

Ok, I just noticed something.

Judging by this diagram, the seatpost tube is actually 250mm (350mm - 100mm = 250mm)

The reason why SR Suntour has 350mm is because it's taking 100mm of length for the shock absorption part.

100mm is approx. 4 inches, so it will raise your seat height by 4 inches (from the very bottom setting)