Welcome to Ebike Touring & Travel Forum!

ebikemom

Administrator
Staff member
Please post about your Ebike travel here, whether ebike touring, day trips, package tours, travel to a vacation rental and day-trips-from-there, ebike rentals while on vacation, or wherever your ebike touring and travel adventures take you!

If you see a thread related to ebike touring/travel, I'll see if I can move it here. Just post the link below and I'll check it out and either move it or leave the link in this thread for folks to check out.

This is not a place for advertising or offering discounts/deals. Please advertise here: https://electricbikereview.com/forum/forums/rentals-tours/

Dionigi

I would like to thank ebikemom for taking the initiative to start the The Ebike Touring & Travel forum. Since February 2018, when my wife Lynn and I purchased our first ebikes, we have literally been riding in circles. Granted we rode big circles of 25 to 50 miles but still all of our routes were loops. Loops that either started at our front door or loaded our bikes on carries to a trailhead. Our original mission was for recreation and exercise, but now we want to incorporate our other passion travel with biking, and bike touring seems to fill in all the blanks. Just like in February 2018 when we knew nothing about ebikes we find ourselves naive about bike touring.There are a few wonderful bike touring youtube channels, Bicycle Touring Pro, Rad Bike Adventures (not related to Rad Ebikes). And also the bike-packers, a newer close cousin of tradition European touring. The bike-packers replaces bike racks and panniers with Velcro fastened bags on gravel bikes and travel on unpaved roads, people like Iohan Gueorguiev and Path Less Pedaled were mesmerizing. All of these cyclists have a great sense of adventure and all are at least 30 years my junior. So how does a bunch of old folks with heavy ebikes enjoy similar adventures? Hopefully this forum will help us figure it out. Topics like how to pack panniers (rain gear, battery charges, extra cloths, tarp), oneway transportation (enough loops), accommodations, group rides (safety in numbers) and best ebikes for touring. I look forward to your posts from others looking for longer adventures.

ebikemom

Administrator
Staff member
Yippeee!!! :) I hope we are inspired by hearing about many adventures, including yours!!

Mr. Coffee

@Dionigi

I too, enjoy those Youtube channels and have found them a great source of inspiration and ideas. I've found the Bicycle Touring Pro website and his books to also be of great help in how to do trip planning and packing and organizing gear.

I came from the distance-hiking world and found that the revolution that happened in the late 90's and early aughts was pretty cool as people figured out outside-the-box solutions to how to walk far and fast in rugged country without breaking your back or the bank. I find the bike packing world to be similar in that sense, as the whole toolkit evolved out of solving some pretty basic problems (how can I carry gear on a full-suspension bike? how can I carry gear on a narrow trail?) that traditional touring gear didn't solve or solved (and still solves) poorly. Although in this fallen, corrupt world the vast majority of people sporting bike packing rigs are doing road tours on road bikes (which makes sense because it is just as hopeless putting racks on a carbon fiber road bike as it is on a full-suspension mountain bike, if for different reasons).

I was hoping to make discussion threads on efficient clothing choices, camping gear, and cooking gear at some point in the next few weeks.

Dionigi

@Dionigi

I too, enjoy those Youtube channels and have found them a great source of inspiration and ideas. I've found the Bicycle Touring Pro website and his books to also be of great help in how to do trip planning and packing and organizing gear.

I came from the distance-hiking world and found that the revolution that happened in the late 90's and early aughts was pretty cool as people figured out outside-the-box solutions to how to walk far and fast in rugged country without breaking your back or the bank. I find the bike packing world to be similar in that sense, as the whole toolkit evolved out of solving some pretty basic problems (how can I carry gear on a full-suspension bike? how can I carry gear on a narrow trail?) that traditional touring gear didn't solve or solved (and still solves) poorly. Although in this fallen, corrupt world the vast majority of people sporting bike packing rigs are doing road tours on road bikes (which makes sense because it is just as hopeless putting racks on a carbon fiber road bike as it is on a full-suspension mountain bike, if for different reasons).

I was hoping to make discussion threads on efficient clothing choices, camping gear, and cooking gear at some point in the next few weeks.
Yes, I agree the bikepacking gravel bikes are still evolving (with ebikes in the background). What I see in the future are rear and front baskets. Or a suspended seatpost basket. The photo is not a good example, for the baskets are set for shopping, but you can see the rear basket is narrow and can be stuffed with a lot of gear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. Coffee

Yes, I agree the bikepacking gravel bikes are still evolving (with ebikes in the background). What I see in the future are rear and front baskets. Or a suspended seatpost basket. The photo is not a good example, for the baskets are set for shopping, but you can see the rear basket is narrow and can be stuffed with a lot of gear.
Yes, basketpacking is a thing: