What is going on with Bosch customer support?

benzy

I am having a horrible time getting a service ticket acted on and am curious if this is par for the course.

I have a cannondale contro-e speed under warranty, with a bosch motor that is cutting power as well as having an inordinate amount of resistance when back pedaling as if a bearing or gear is bad. You can barely move the crank arms back with the motor on or off. Likely related to the power cut off.

Bosch is insisting the shop (recommended by Bosch) perform a firmware update to fix the bike. Yet, Bosch is dragging their feet getting this very popular high volume multiple location shop set up with the credentials to so firmware updates. Both mechanics at the shop are insistant that the motor is toast and a firmware update is not going to solve the problem.

Bike was dropped off on 11/15. Is this what is usually expected from Bosch, because this is getting pretty ridiculous.

If a Bosch rep monitors this forum please PM me to tell me what is going on here.

batmick1

Unfortunately this appears to be normal. I had a battery issue earlier this year and Bosch took almost two months to decide on the warranty before they sent me a new battery. This was run entirely through a local shop and they were unable to get even updates from the rep.
Currently I have another claim going through the shop to Bosch, also having motor issues and by all accounts the motor is bad. I filed about a month ago and still no updates. I decided to take a gamble and still ride my bike until the motor fails or Bosch finally sends a new one.

Good luck with your claim!

benzy

Unfortunately this appears to be normal. I had a battery issue earlier this year and Bosch took almost two months to decide on the warranty before they sent me a new battery. This was run entirely through a local shop and they were unable to get even updates from the rep.
Currently I have another claim going through the shop to Bosch, also having motor issues and by all accounts the motor is bad. I filed about a month ago and still no updates. I decided to take a gamble and still ride my bike until the motor fails or Bosch finally sends a new one.

Good luck with your claim!
Man, sorry to hear that. I paid extra for a Bosch equipped ebike because I wrongly assumed that their popularity would translate to reasonable service and turnaround. Pretty apparent their strategy is to deny claims and wear customers out. Holding out that we are aberrations, but it's not looking good.

Mike's E-Bikes

Their website allows you to click a box that shows expert certification. It may not matter, but I know Bosch emphasizes training and certification heavily, and if they are not Expert, they may be limited in what Bosch will allow them to accomplish. I was coached a bit on this by one of my ebike suppliers who has Bosch on their ebikes. Bosch wants me to get certified but I'm only dipping my toes in them slowly, as I am Yamaha for my mid drives and have preferred them thus far. It's a time investment on my part, and I want to see how their product sells first. There is only one other dealer anywhere close to my shop who is Bosch Expert certified. They are 157 miles away. Very odd considering the metro area is 10 million + people. Their Bosch training rep was trying to reach me heavily a few weeks ago when he was in town. He sounded desperate to get someone trained in this region.

Ebiker01

Their website allows you to click a box that shows expert certification. It may not matter, but I know Bosch emphasizes training and certification heavily, and if they are not Expert, they may be limited in what Bosch will allow them to accomplish. I was coached a bit on this by one of my ebike suppliers who has Bosch on their ebikes. Bosch wants me to get certified but I'm only dipping my toes in them slowly, as I am Yamaha for my mid drives and have preferred them thus far. It's a time investment on my part, and I want to see how their product sells first. There is only one other dealer anywhere close to my shop who is Bosch Expert certified. They are 157 miles away. Very odd considering the metro area is 10 million + people. Their Bosch training rep was trying to reach me heavily a few weeks ago when he was in town. He sounded desperate to get someone trained in this region.
Pardon my curiosity , but are they at least offering to generously pay for having you take their training/ certification ?

Mike's E-Bikes

They do tour cities and you pay a fee to attend a basic 4 hour certification. You have to do that to get their diagnostic tools. Has to be renewed every 15 months. Beyond that, for anything more comprehensive, it involves travel, hotel, etc at your own cost.

benzy

thanks for the tip. Unfortunately there’s two experts in the Bay Area - SF and Santa Cruz. I suppose I can drive a cumulative 4 hours for the two trips it will take to drop off and pick up. But man, I really don’t think that’s fair with so many dealers around. it may come to that tho.

stelladiaz

I agree with the shop based on what you explain. A firmware update won't do anything good. Normally bosch handles subjects very well.