Win 10 grand, name GM's ebike!

ebikemom

Administrator
Staff member
So how does the trademark check work? If my proposed name doesn't come up in the search, does that mean it's trade-markable?

Over50

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/02/business/general-motors-ebikes/index.html

So I'm wondering if they were reverse engineering the Vektron and the Bosch system? Or just using it for benchmarking? Last Fall, after I learned about the GSD, I called the lone Tern dealer in the Detroit area (now there is another from whom I purchased our GSD and Vektron). The GSD conversation with that initial dealer is another story but I remember the employee I talked to told me that GM had recently purchased a number of Vektrons. Maybe he told me about 10 but I don't recall for sure. Anyway, I figured perhaps they were exploring urban mobility or using them to help engineers get around their tech campus. Well, now I expect they were related to this project.

And when I commute I often lock my bike at GM Headquarters. I've never seen another e-bike there.

Dewey

So how does the trademark check work? If my proposed name doesn't come up in the search, does that mean it's trade-markable?
Don’t know but Googling reveals advice sites that pointed to the federal trade mark registry I linked to above. But the advice said you need to google your idea as well to find out if another business is already using it.

Any company who can't come up with anything more original than "Volt" or "Bolt" for the name of their Electric Cars, certainly could use a LOT of help, naming anything they bring out to market for bikes.

I'm gonna bet it won't be named Corvair.

ebikemom

Administrator
Staff member
It might end up being an Edsel if it doesn't have the kind of practical features that make an ebike not only fun, but also a car replacement.

ebikemom

Administrator
Staff member
No idea. I assume name selection also involves focus groups, ad agencies, branding experts, etc. etc. Who knows how long all of that takes. I made two submissions, though!!! I'm not thinking they will pick my awesome names, though!

e-boy

The folding bike is called the Merge, while the non-folding bike is called Meld.
But don't know the name they picked for their Bicycle division .

Their Car Share company is called Maven .