2020 Giant Explore E+ 2 GTS, I think I found my bike!

Hobie65

Hi everyone,

Been reading for over a year about ebikes with intentions of getting one this spring. The bikes that are appealing to me are in the $4500-$5000 range such as the Vado 4 or 5, Trek Commuter 7, Moustache Samedi, OHM Quest.
Just few days ago, I end up on the Giant site and see this bike 2020 Explore E+ 2 GTS at about $1000-$1500 less than my list of potential ebikes! It's got the 500w battery, lots of torque, like how the rear rack is secured to the bike etc, Yamaha motor etc.

Is this a hidden treasure?

Last edited:

Stefan Mikes

It would be good if you could ride some of these bikes prior to the purchase. NB: I think Trek Super Commuter 7 has been discontinued.

Hobie65

It would be good if you could ride some of these bikes prior to the purchase. NB: I think Trek Super Commuter 7 has been discontinued.
Agree, very hard to try anything where I live, however I'll be trying some when I go vacationing this summer at my folks place near Montreal.
Trek is still available at some stores at a reduced price!

JayVee

Hi everyone,

Been reading for over a year about ebikes with intentions of getting one this spring.
I had demoed, leased, borrowed, rented, and bought time slots from private fleets for a couple of years before actually owning. Anything to get on a e-bike without actually owning one. I even had access to free loaner e-bikes each and every weekend. I tried everything you could imagine with power units from Brose, Bosch, Shimano, Dapu, Bafang, Panasonic, GoSwiss, TDCM, and a host of other drives people in the US have probably never even heard of. In the end, the price was right on a Yamaha powered Haibike and I took the decision after merely demoing for 15 minutes. There was nothing substantially better that the other mid-drives I had used could provide from a commuter perspective. Sure, some had a more refined feel or were better in some areas, but hey, that price... Money matters.

By all means demo. Not trying to discourage you if you have the opportunity. But if you had to chose blindly, that Giant would be a really good choice. As a baseline for comparison you can’t fault it.

A lot of people in the forum have Yamaha drives. Very few complaints other than the fact that the drive makes squeaky noises. But we have the fix for that. Lube and tighten the mounting bolts! I personally am guilty of whining about the fragile remote (swapped it a couple of times) but the bike you selected has a Giant remote with a sturdier design.

Mtl_Biker

Agree, very hard to try anything where I live, however I'll be trying some when I go vacationing this summer at my folks place near Montreal.
Trek is still available at some stores at a reduced price!
It can be a bit difficult to try a bike before you buy, and then even more difficult to actually buy one! In fall I was lucky enough to get an Explore E+3 to try for a day and I liked it, but found the (medium) frame a bit too large for comfort. I was thinking that I would wait for the 2020 models, try one out and then buy one. But dealers already had waiting lists! And I wanted a small frame size... none were to be found anywhere except for the very last one in Canada and it was in Edmonton (I'm in Montreal). So I bought that one (2019 Explore E+1 GTS) and had it shipped (expensive) to me. Then I found that while the height of the small frame was fine for me, everything else was also smaller... the handlebars were just too close for me and then with a lot of changing components, I found a handlebar stem with the longest offset and that made the bike much better. Not perfect though.

It's real important to try before you buy, and to try exactly the model and size you intend to buy. In your case that will probably be very difficult. And if you wait until summer and your visit to Montreal, chances are the selection of available bikes will be very limited. E-Bikes seem to be flying out the dealers' doors!

You're in Paradise NFLD? As far as I'm concerned, Newfoundland *IS* paradise! Wonderful place! Just hard to get to.

Good luck!

Browneye

Personally mine has proven to be a true steal-deal. Love it! 👍
It was $2300 otd all in.
The only problem is now I want a eMTB. Maybe a trance-pro. 😁
Haibike is worth looking at - Lenny's bikes stacks them high and sells them low. Especially with a pw motor.
When I found out Yamaha was making ebikes I was in - you just can't miss with them.

Stefan Mikes

The only problem is now I want a eMTB. Maybe a trance-pro.
You should have bought the BH MTB when it was available at Crazy Lenny's Closeout ;) Too late, buddy! Have you ever considered a Specialized Turbo Levo, one of the cheaper models (I do not talk S-Works, to be clear)?

Browneye

You should have bought the BH MTB when it was available at Crazy Lenny's Closeout ;) Too late, buddy! Have you ever considered a Specialized Turbo Levo, one of the cheaper models (I do not talk S-Works, to be clear)?
Yeah, that's the 'Lynx' model, right? One of our LBS's had one, sat on it, liked it. Yammer drive. Hoop-doop shocks. Very cool.

I also looked at the Levo when we were up to the kid's place over Thanksgiving . The shop is right next door to a tap-room with 86 beers on tap. You can even walk over with beer in hand. Oh dear god.
They had a pretty good sale going for black friday - quoted me $5000 out the door. Awesome bike. 29" wheels too. I didn't dare ride one. If the weather had been better (it rained the whole time) I might have rented one for a day - $100 for 24 hours and apply the $$ to purchase.

I'm still on the fence on getting one. Wife wants me to ride with her when we have free time for a bike ride, and she has zero interest in riding mtb trails. So I don't know when or how I would actually use one. I've spent my entire lifetime riding dirtbikes, so it's a natural extension. But have been so broken from crashing I had to stop, and surely I would do the same on a mtb. ;)

Crazy-Lenny's definitely has the bargains, eh??

Last edited:

Ofarrell

Hi everyone,

Been reading for over a year about ebikes with intentions of getting one this spring. The bikes that are appealing to me are in the $4500-$5000 range such as the Vado 4 or 5, Trek Commuter 7, Moustache Samedi, OHM Quest.
Just few days ago, I end up on the Giant site and see this bike 2020 Explore E+ 2 GTS at about $1000-$1500 less than my list of potential ebikes! It's got the 500w battery, lots of torque, like how the rear rack is secured to the bike etc, Yamaha motor etc.

Is this a hidden treasure?
This Giant (same model) is at the top of my list also. Anyone have an opinion on the stock tires and puncture resistance?

Browneye

This Giant (same model) is at the top of my list also. Anyone have an opinion on the stock tires and puncture resistance?
Nothing special, and I didn't care much for them. They have some dirt-grip and are soft, so that's what they've got going for them.
I thought larger tires would work better so I went with big apple 60's and they're great. If you want the best puncture resistance install the Marathons/plus. You can get them the same size if you like, or there are other options. I have a take-off set if you want them for cheap.

The bike comes with tubeless-ready wheels so that's another option.

Remember, tires are a personal preference and cheap to change to suit. 👍

Rick53

Nothing special, and I didn't care much for them. They have some dirt-grip and are soft, so that's what they've got going for them.
I thought larger tires would work better so I went with big apple 60's and they're great. If you want the best puncture resistance install the Marathons/plus. You can get them the same size if you like, or there are other options. I have a take-off set if you want them for cheap.

The bike comes with tubeless-ready wheels so that's another option.

Remember, tires are a personal preference and cheap to change to suit. 👍
Would that steered stem accept the RokForm stem mount ? I rode one of these yesterday Set up in one of those stationary trainer stands : So it's a little deceiving But it seemed like it was easy to get flying on it. They had it setup with some software using a giant app I think : Seemed like 25 MPH was easy to get to. Keeping in Mind I had no road resistance : I couldn't really try the Front Suspension either. Compared it with Trek Verve + and there wasn't a comparison :

It was a Nice way to test one of these More for Frame Geometry then anything else :

The Motor seemed quieter then Court's review Indicated : Maybe because of the trainer stand : I was surprised they were doing this : I've been to Trek LBS and Specialized > None of them offered this testing option :

Didn't order Yet . Seems the way to go though
Do you miss no Clutch ? I suppose you could upgrade that rear Derailleur fairly cheaply

It appears like giant gives you more of a Bike and you supply the display : The Sales guy was pretty New and didn't seem to know much : He led me to believe I can purchase a Display or Downlaod an App and use my Phone : That's why I asked about the RokForm Stem Mount

Last edited:

Browneye

Rockform is excellent - had one on the BMW. And yes, your smart phone gives you nav and trip data just like a display. You need a way to power it though, it's a resource hog and will run your phone out in short order.
It does work well though.

Clutch? What clutch? LOL And the derailleur works perfectly. It's a class 1 so the motor starts to cut out at about 19mph unless you de-restrict it. I will then do up to 30mph, or as fast as you can pedal it. That eats the battery for sure. It is fairly easy to ride past the motor cut off but you can sure feel the drag of the bike without assist. Great for downhill, otherwise the assist is what keeps it going. oh, and the motor is silent - you can't hear it over any wind noise.

And yeah, it kicks the Verve+, I test rode one extensively and liked it. Did not need or want fenders but did want a suspension fork.

I am open to a fork upgrade - nothing confirmed as of yet. Maybe you can pioneer that. 👍
t