250W and hills?

Leafs2726

Hello. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Vancouver BC to be specific. I am concerned if I order this bike it will have issues climbing up the hills as it has 250W of power. I realise power isn't everything but 250W doesn't sound like it would work for hills? Thanks

fooferdoggie

its not much on a hub drive. depends on how much effort you can put put. but really this bike is for cruising around on mostly flat roads.

mschwett

Region
USA
it's 400 watts peak, which is more than i've ever used to ride up a hill. and 35-37lb is a decent (light) weight for an ebike. those things aren't the issues.

i assume you're not considering the singlespeed - your contribution to the hill climbing is going to be sorta limited, unless you've got legs of steel and heart/lungs to match. the 7 speed version doesn't list what size the rear cassette is, you should ask about that. also find out if the assist levels can be controlled, or if it's just going to pump out 400w going up a big hill until the battery is toast.

very attractive/low price point, so many of the components may not be top notch, but it seems like a nicely considered bike and i wouldn't let the 250/400w rating deter you unless your goal is to go up hills FAST.

Leafs2726

Nope. I wanted to be sure it helps up the hills. But I read further and I don’t think it has a throttle. Unfortunately I love the look and weight of the bike but it’s not going to work. And yes regarding gears. I tried an ebike last week with no gears and didn’t work well for me. I am now looking at ride1up.

Csubi

Region
Canada
I live in Vancouver and attached a BBSHD onto an older MTB. This thing flies across the Iron Workers Bridge, and turns hills into flat surfaces.

Csubi

Region
Canada
Bafang Mid Drive Motor
BBSHD

On a 2007 Specialized Hardrock

20211003_171220.jpg

Leafs2726

Aww I did some pricing a few days ago on conversion and it’s expensive etc and might as well buy a new bike with motor.

Csubi

Region
Canada
Aww I did some pricing a few days ago on conversion and it’s expensive etc and might as well buy a new bike with motor.
Fair enough, but this motor is awesome. I can go anywhere, in any conditions. Was great in snow too. If you wanna look or try it, PM me.

Leafs2726

I am curious. How much was it total to convert? And how much extra weight on the bike? And the kicker for me is I could never put it together and would cost money on top of everything else.

Csubi

Region
Canada
I purchased a better chainring and a couple of spacers for about $50. Installed it myself.