A Road-Cyclist Thoughts On E-Bikes

tbar23

Some really interesting view points here. I am also finding it difficult to find exactly what I want despite the enormous range and breadth of ebikes available. As some of you have seen, I’m looking for a bike to use as a fast commuter, and many of my wishlist items are echoed here.
Frankly, the Domane+ HP is quite close to what I’d like, but $7k is an awful lot to plunk down! Also need to research whether it can take fenders and rack.
I actually came upon this thread searching EBR for more info on Domane+!

Chancelucky2

The trek crossrip plus is discontinued, but they pop up used from time to time for around 2.4 k. It comes with rack and fenders. BULLS makes something similar and there's also the yamaha civante. All are drop bars class 3 and take a rack.

Ebiker01

Some really interesting view points here. I am also finding it difficult to find exactly what I want despite the enormous range and breadth of ebikes available. As some of you have seen, I’m looking for a bike to use as a fast commuter, and many of my wishlist items are echoed here.
Frankly, the Domane+ HP is quite close to what I’d like, but $7k is an awful lot to plunk down! Also need to research whether it can take fenders and rack.
I actually came upon this thread searching EBR for more info on Domane+!
I wrote a few topics about it. Besides the Domane +HP, BMC AMP ONE is also v. good choice. I would say it's better b/c it has the Shimano E8000 motor , it can go 32-33mph delimited.

TForan

AT 73 and 69 my wife and I are die hard road cyclists, with a couple of carbon fiber clip in road bikes. We purchased two Canondale ebikes a year and a half ago and although we enjoy riding them, it is hard to find time for them and the road bikes as well. People will say, "you can get just as good of a workout on an ebike by turning the assist level down" but it's not the same. There's also something about being under your own power on an ultra light, fast road bike. Ebikes can be thrilling but not in the same way.

And any kind of bike riding is a rather limited exercise. Basically aerobics and legs. That's why you see so many bike riders with little upper body. It's better than nothing but you still have to lift those weights. And I don't understand why e-bikes are different than regular road bikes for exercise. Isn't it just rotation and resistance ? My fat tire bike feels like you are pedaling in wet cement with the assist turned off..,which I never do.

Last edited:

WattsUpDude

Yes. The main problem with most ebikes (even e-road bikes) is that they DON'T feel normal when the motor is off. They feel sluggish and heavy. This is okay for when you want to go real slow, but not when you just want to ride semi-normally. You want a minimum assist mode that only just compensates for the weight, but also assists me up to the speed I might normally ride (which is higher than 20 mph). It is quite nice to have a bike that rides well unpowered, but that's not the point here.

This is an issue that can be solved with a Speedbox tuner if you have a compatible bike. You can leave it on a lower level assist and the Speedbox will still allow the motor to assist up to the limits of your gearing or legs.

Buckeye Biker

Since I got my ebike I've been riding almost every day, even sometimes when I'm really tired after work. It's even got me wanting to get out my Trek city non ebike. Almost always in assist 1, but it's nice knowing that if I get tired or just want to get home quickly, I can go to assist 3 or whatever and just jet. A bike that makes me want to ride it is way better than a bike I rarely ride.

I have tried my ebike a few times at assist zero, and I wouldn't want to ride it that way for very long. Even in a low gear it feels like you're dragging an anvil.

Roxlimn

And any kind of bike riding is a rather limited exercise. Basically aerobics and legs. That's why you see so many bike riders with little upper body. It's better than nothing but you still have to lift those weights. And I don't understand why e-bikes are different than regular road bikes for exercise. Isn't it just rotation and resistance ? My fat tire bike feels like you are pedaling in wet cement with the assist turned off..,which I never do.

Well, lifting an EMTB around the shed for maintenance is still hefting 50 or so odd pounds onto a workstand and all around. ;) That's certainly more than typical cyclists need to handle around the shed. I do agree that there's really not much difference in terms of exercise between a regular bike and an ebike. If anything, the ebike is more versatile because you can opt to make the bike as light or as heavy as you need.

6zfshdb

There have been many excellent points made here. They demonstrate the diversity of thought in the cycling community. My philosophy is, anything that gets you off the couch and out on 2 wheels is OK in my book.

To sum up our experience, my wife and I live in the Pocono Mountains and our local trails all have a semi rough surface with considerable slope. Neither of us feels comfortable riding on roads due to their poor condition and relatively high accident rate.

In our younger years, we enjoyed riding our conventional MTB's and the trail conditions weren't an issue. It came to the point however where our rides became shorter and the enjoyment faded. Although we still travel to the flatlands to ride our MTB's on level, mostly paved trails, these trips are less frequent than we would like. E-bikes have restored our ability to ride locally with greater frequency and the thrill has indeed returned.