Aftermarket rack and fenders for Turbo Vado SL

CLHall

Hey all. I just bought a Turbo Vado SL (in red) 4.0. I would have bought the EQ if I’d been able to get it, it comes with rack and fenders... but, silly me... I figured if it HAD the ability to come WITH them, certainly I could ADD the damn things. Not so fast, apparently. It does say it is “rack time” compatable” but there are no eyelets on the thing (there is a fender eyelet) and who knows how to make which one fit. I’m not rack savvy... I bought it to do touring and am now wishing I’d just bought the EQ. Honestly, I’d rather have a Tubus rack on there, I want something aesthetically pleasing, but whatever. Help!

Allan47.7339

Have you asked the dealer? They don't show the fender kit on the Specialized web site but the dealer access may show something. I don't particularly like Specialized fenders in wet weather (Turbo S) but they've integrated the rack and fender. You may be able to use P-clamps on the seat stays for a Tubus or Racktime but it won't have the sleek look. (I prefer Tubus too.) I tend to think their fenders are designed by someone who's never ridden much in the rain and they have too much form and not quite enough function. I've ordered the EQ version in spite of this.

Allan47.7339

Here is another example of how to connect a rack to a bike without eyelets:

or

I think the Salsa looks better but the Sunlite has a view of one installed so you can see the idea.

The fenders should not be much of a problem. It will be a little crowded on the rack/fender eyelet on the dropout with the fender stays and rack on the same attachment with a longer bolt.